Lights in the End

A cool breeze blew past the ship, pulling your hair back. You sighed from your spot on the empty lawn and tucked your legs underneath you. The ship was dark for the most part, lit only by the dim light of the lantern by the bathhouse. The ship was docked at an island that hadn't seemed inhabited by anyone, or anything. Your lips tugged into a small smile at the calmness of the night, and you sat back, propping yourself up with your hands. However, the silence that you enjoyed was quickly dispersed when you heard flipflops racing across the lawn towards you. Tilting your head back, you smiled at :, about to ask him why he was awake at this hour. "___..." He cried, his voice wavering.
You stood up immediately, taking a step to reach your captain, although you knew what happened, you asked anyway, "What's wrong Luffy?"
 You could see the tears that were escaping his eyes, even when he tried to hide it with his beloved hat.
"I-Ace," He breathed.
You quickly pulled him into a hug, gently patting his hair. He clutched your shirt, sobbing into it now, his cries unrestrained. "Shh... It'll be okay, I promise."
Luffy shook his head, "I want it to be okay now!"
You hummed, murmuring soft words into his hair, "Me too, Luffy. Me too."
You slowly sat down, or, tried to. With the added weight of Luffy clinging to you, as soon as your knees bent, you fell straight to the ground. By the time you had recovered from the fall, Luffy already nestled his head into your lap, his hands still clutching your shirt tightly.
"Can you sing to me?" He looked up at you, only one of his eyes visible.
A small smile stretched across your face, "Sure, Luffy."
He returned the smile, though it was sad, and turned his head back.

"I remember tears streaming down your face," 

"When I said I'll never let you go."

"When all those shadows almost killed your light."

"I remember you said don't leave me here alone,"

"But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight."

The words flowed easily from your lips, the words etched into your memory. Brook had helped you write and perfect it. The song was one of Luffy's favorites, and he often asked you to sing it to him, mostly at random. The first few weeks he asked you to sing it to him every day, during dinner, in the middle of a game of tag, while he was fishing, before he went to bed, and even when you were showering he'd sit outside the door and listen to your muffled voice as it echoed through the bathhouse. He had asked you to sing it so much that the rest of the crew had gotten very, very sick of it. Luffy suddenly rolled over, turning his head to face your stomach. You looked down at him, his sobs had turned into soft sniffles as he curled into your shirt, which, by now, was thoroughly soaked. A light chuckle escaped your lips when he looked at you expectantly to continue.

"Just close your eyes,"

"The sun is going down."

"You'll be alright,"

"No one can hurt you now."

"Come morning light,"

Time seemed to slow as you sang. All you could hear was Luffy's ragged breathing, your voice, and the gentle lulling of the soft ocean waves hitting the side of Thousand Sunny. Luffy's hat was set down beside you and his soft hair drifted in the breeze. At one point, the hat almost blew away, so your hands held onto the string to keep it down.

"You and I'll be safe and sound."

"Don't you dare look out the window,"

"Darling, everything's on fire."

"The war outside our door keeps raging on."

"Hold on to this lullaby,"

Your shirt was slowly beginning to dry up as Luffy snuggled into it. You stifled a giggle, seeing Luffy's content smile. He noticed you looking and, in embarrassment, he lifted your shirt and tucked his head under it, a playful pout flashing across his face. The song halted as you squeaked in surprise, pushing his head out from under your shirt. Suddenly laughs rang through the air, Luffy reluctantly let his head out. He stuck his tongue out before scrambling up to his feet and running across the deck, "You can't catch me!"
You laughed, getting on your feet, "Oh yeah? Just you wait!" you yelled cheerfully and ran after him, your arm outstretched to tag him whenever you got close enough.
You found him in the Thousand Sunny's head, watching the dark clouds barely visible against the night sky. "Heya."
He turned his head to look at you, smiling. "I feel better now! But you still have to finish the song!"
Chuckling, you sat down beside him. 

"Even when the music's gone,"

"Gone."

"Just close your eyes,"

"The sun is going down."

"You'll be alright,"

"Come morning light,"

Luffy, now clearly in a better mood, swayed to the music. Suddenly, he sat up straighter, his eyes lighting up with an idea. You eyed him suspiciously, but you didn't stop singing. He stood up and took his hat off, placing it gingerly on your head. He beamed, nodding in approval and sat down beside you again, letting his head drop onto your shoulder.  You chuckled, the hat was rather big on you, slipping over your eyes, so you pulling it so you could see. You looked over at Luffy, who was nodding his head to the slow beat of the music, his arms wrapped around your right arm.

·   . ✵   · ˚ ✺ .' 'Y o u  a n d  I ' l l  b e  s a f e  a n d  s o u n d ' '˚  ⊹ . . ⋆  ✦

A/N: Thank you for reading!! I hope you enjoyed it! Please comment if you find any mistakes in my writing and if you have a suggestion for a future oneshot!!