Chapter 1

5 years before the events of Divergent and The Hunger Games.

Tris Prior's P.O.V.

My curiosity had gotten the best of me this time. I can't believe I snuck away. My mother would be so displeased.

I hated being curious, but it's one of my main traits. I can't help it. Abnegation doesn't encourage curiosity. I don't fit in amongst my own faction.

I walk around for a long time in my hot, long sleeved grey clothes. I stop at the fence and look out to the the other side. I've always wondered what's there. Suddenly I'm greeted by a voice. "Ey there."

I stumble back in surprise and look around. There was no one in sight, until I looked up and saw a girl dangling her legs off tree.

I looked at her closely. She didn't look like she was part of Abnegation. She slightly resembled a Dauntless, but not really, and she certainly wasn't factionless. She wore a leather jacket, muddy boots, green cargo pants, and her brown hair was pulled back into a long braid which draped over her shoulder. She had a bow that she wore across her chest and a quiver of arrows.

"Um... hey." I responded after a minute.

"Where are you from?" I blurt out. I'm naturally curious. I hate it.

"12."

"12? What do you mean 12?"

She looks down at me, just as confused as I am. "12.... the District. District 12. Where are you from?"

"Um... Abnegation."

"What's that?"

"Abnegation? It's the faction for the selfless. I'm standing in it.... right now..."

I could tell she still had no idea what I was talking about, but she played along. "Huh. Didn't realize." She climbed down from the tree and we stared at each other for a minute through the fence.

"What's your name?" She asked me.

I smiled. "Beatrice Prior."

"Nice to meet you, Beatrice. I'm Katniss Everdeen."