Chapter 3

Jayde jolted as she woke up, body shaking in fear. Another nightmare about John, this one taking place in the same clean motel room she stared at now. Despite her fear the details were slipping away, as if her memories were water and she was trying to salvage them in cupped hands. It took a moment for her to realise she was in fact fine, noticing Dean packing his gun in the back of his jeans.

"You're not going for a hunt now are you?"

"Somebody's gotta gank that ghost. How was your nap Sleeping Beauty?"

"Energising. Got a spare gun or something?"

Dean stopped moving for a second to look at his sister with a serious face.

"Woah, woah ,hold up a sec missy; you're not going."

"What? C'mon Dean, you always said power in numbers was key for hunts!"

"This is just a ghost Jay, Sam and I can handle this!"

"So if two can handle it than three would have it done within five minutes!"

Sam popped his head in the door after stocking the Impala. "She's got a point Dean, I think we should give her a chance." Dean glared at Sam with annoyance, eventually sighing and walking out the door as he called back a reluctant "Fine!"

Jayde winked at Sam as she followed Dean outside to pack some gear, ecstatic to know she could hunt again. It was only when she walked out did Jayde notice how late it was. The air was bitterly cold, swirly mist appearing as she took a breath. The dark sky was illuminated by a small crescent moon and few stars, the motel's silent car park scattered with small trucks.

Dean was bent over the Impala's trunk, shoving ammunition and other weapons back and forth to pull out a small handgun. He stood up and admired it for a moment, brushing his fingers against the pentagram he had scraped onto the wooden handle.

"Dad gave me this when I was younger than you. It's pretty good." He checked the barrel and started filling it with bullets, handing it over to the apprehensive girl. "You can shoot, can't you?"

Jayde looked around the car park for a moment, her eyes settling on a drink can standing upright on top of someone's truck. She snatched the gun from Dean's grasp, unloaded and reloaded it, pulled back on the release as she steadied her hand and pulled the trigger, the gunshot echoing through the car park. A small clang followed the loud bang when the can fell to the concrete ground sporting a bullet-shaped hole in the middle of its logo.

"Not bad kid." Dean smiled, ruffling Jayde's hair again as she stuffed the gun into the back waistband of her jeans. Dean had turned to grab her another bullet but when he faced his sister, was also accompanied by a loaded shotgun, slightly smaller than the one Sam had always used.

Jayde smiled, pocketing the small bullet and grabbing the shotgun. She felt it up for a moment, positioning her hands to even out the weight and bringing it up to aim correctly.

"That's a pretty nice one too." Dean was admiring the way Jayde handled it, pointing towards another littered can lying on the far away dumpster. Without second thought Jayde shot, the power behind the gun's backfire momentarily breaking her stability. She staggered but had managed to hold onto the gun, a feeling of pride rising in her as the parroting gunshot was replaced by yet another clang of the shot can hitting the concrete.

"Didn't realise you knew your way around a gun like you do." Sam had walked out of the motel and locked the door behind him, his duffel and Jayde's bag in arms. Dean had given her some more shotgun shells to pocket and pulled the Impala's secret armoury closed, allowing Sam to throw the bags in the 'empty' trunk. Dean pulled down the lid and looked towards his younger brother and sister, a small smirk exposing itself.