Prologue

"What?"

"These days, I can't feel us, Baeyeon." Sungyoon ran his fingers through his hair that had been perfectly combed just a couple seconds ago. "And there's no use being together if our love isn't even visible."

He pulled at the caught bicycle handle as he began wheeling his bicycle to the gates of her house as she stood there, not completely sure of what had just happened. Did he just leave her? Did he come all the way from his house to hers just to tell her that he didn't want them to be together anymore?

Baeyeon hugged her coat closer to her body as she ran out her door, not bothering to swap the pair of slippers at her feet for her winter boots or something that could perhaps do well in helping her to travel through the thick snow that had gathered on the ground and layered all over the floor.

The cold air hit her as soon as she made contact with the hideous world outside of her house and she felt her skin breaking to goosebumps as her hair was tossed around with every step she took towards him and perhaps wearing slippers had been a bad decision because all she felt was herself almost trudging through the melting snow and the cold and wet snow soaking into her socks.

"Sungyoon! Wait up! Let's talk this out, I promise to be better!"

He looked back for almost a whole second before she watched him smear his jacket sleeve across his eyes as if he were wiping away his long-hidden tears. "You're a bad influence and I don't need that in my life."

Baeyeon's eyes widened. "What have I ever done to be a bad influence?"

"You're too much," Sungyoon choked over his words. "It's always you who thinks that you're everything and that you're all that matters. You always look at me like I'm some lowly figure in your life. You don't care about me."

And with that, he swung a leg over his bicycle and pedalled away from her life with a last glance back at the girl who stood frozen in place, absorbing all that he had just said.

"But I... why are you leaving so fast?" she watched him pedal across the road and further and further away from her.

"But I do care, Sungyoon."