Universities vs Community colleges

After high school students must make a major decision, whether to go to a community college or a University. Both serve the same purpose but differ in their location, learning environment, requirements, class size, financial cost and variety of degree options.

Location is an aspect to consider when contrasting the two. Community college can be convenient because of the location. University students pay for rent monthly on a dorm or apartment that is still twenty minutes away from class. In a community, college students have the option of driving 10 minutes to class and staying at home which saves money and time.

The learning environment each have to offer is very different. University campuses can consist of several miles of the different building. A student who is unfamiliar with the campus has a high probability of getting lost. Unlike universities community colleges are smaller just consisting of a few buildings, which are easier to navigate.

Community colleges typically have less strict admission requirements than universities. Many have open admission policies but certain community college programs may have stricter admission requirements. Universities tend to be more meticulously when it comes to admissions. Universities look at a student's GPA and their scores on their ACT or SAT, and more.

Another vital factor to consider is the classroom size. At a community college, the class is a much smaller size. Most community college classes have twenty students or fewer. This permits for plenty more interaction and an easier learning experience. At a university, the student can be placed in a classroom the size of an auditorium with over three hundred people. The classroom size contributes to the quality of the teaching. Professors in small classes tend to make the learning method more engaging and interactive. Classroom discussions are more common and professors are generally more reachable to students. And with fewer papers and exams to grade, professors can provide more comments and develop personal relationships with students. The professors in universities tend to not engage and interact as much because of the vast amount of student.

Community colleges less expensive than universities. Many university students graduate having accumulated staggering levels of debt because of the cost of tuition, books, and living in general.Many community colleges are providing students with a much better value plan than a university. Students are able to get a comparable, if not better, education at a lower cost.

Also, a major difference is the type of degrees and programs offered. Most community colleges offer associate's degree programs, offer short-term certificate, and diploma programs. However, universities generally offer programs that result in bachelor's, masters and doctoral degrees.Both community colleges and universities offer a variety of programs of study, but universities typically have a much larger range of options.