Chapter 1: When It First Started

I've been running all my life. When I was just ten years old the world turned upside down. A virus went bad one sunny after noon. Someone died and then came back alive. But they weren't totally alive. They were dead but walking around. People started calling them the walking dead others called them zombies. I call them groaners. All they do is groan and bite people. It was so terrible when my parents were bit. I cared for them as long as I could and then when they turned to a groaner I took a sledge hammer and put it to their brains. I felt so terrible but I had too. I couldn't let them kill other people because I want brave. I had to start being brave when that day turned bad.

Now I am on my own trying to get to Hawaii. I heard the virus isn't there and there isn't any groaners there. I'm currently in Kansas. I lived in Georgia and I got all the way to Kansas. Sometimes I see groaners and climb a tree or under a car or on a roof of a house. When I first started running I was scared every time I saw a groaner, but now not so much.

...

As I was walking through a forest I saw a little girl walking towards me. I didn't run because I thought she wasn't a groaner and might need help. As she got closer I noticed my mistake. She was a groaner or the walking dead as some say. She had a pink nightie on and she was holding a stuffed cat. Her flesh was half way rotting and she smelled like a dump truck but only worse. I looked around me and saw a tree that looked easy to climb. I ran over to it quickly before the groaner saw me. I climbed and waited in the leaves till she passed. She didn't see me. I let out a sigh and climbed back down. That was close.

I've had many encounters where I have almost become a groaner myself, i was thinking as I was walking west. One time I was hiding behind a bush (dumb mistake don't ever do it) and a groaner came right behind me and grabbed me. I took out my knife and stabbed it in the head. It was a middle aged woman. I felt a little sad because the lady looked like my mom when she became a groaner.

Now I'm just walking on flat fields and if a groaner saw me now I could be a goner. As I was walking I saw a small building in the distance. As I got closer I saw that it was a barn and a house. The house looked a little run down and old. It was starting to get dark so I walked closer to the house. I went up onto the porch and knocked on the door. I hope there isn't groaners in there I'm taking a huge risk. I heard someone or something coming to the door. The door knob turned and the door creaked open. It was a.....