Chapter 2: There Are Others

A young girl opened the door and grabbed my arm. She pulled me quickly into the house.

"Have you been bitten?" She asked me in a whisper.

"No, I have been traveling and it got dark so I thought I could stay here. But when I knocked on the door I didn't think any one would answer." I explained.

"Okay, now I know that you haven't been bitten let me take you to my family." She started walking down the long hallway we were in. She opened a closed door and walked in. I followed her and she immediately shut the door behind her. I looked around the room. There were ten five people crowded in this small room. A boy about maybe moved a big wooded cabinet in front of the door I just walked through. The windows were all bordered up and there were several candles lighting the room.

"Guys, this girl came and knocked on our door. I let her in and she passed the tests. She's not a groaner. if you don't believe me check her for the mark." The girl said to the other people in the room.

"What do you mean by the mark?" I asked no one in particular.

"You haven't heard of the mark?" I shook my head. "All groaners have a special mark under their chin. It's the shape of a water drop." The boy that put the cabinet in front of the door said to me.

A women holding a small child got up and walked over to me. The child looked to be about only one year old. The child only had two teeth in it's jaw.

"I think I should introduce you to everyone..." She trailed off. "This is Enid." She gestured to the child in her arms. "This is Sadie," She pointed to the girl who opened the door for me. "This is Caleb," The boy who moved the cabinet. "This is my brother, Gaten." She pointed to the middle aged man writing in a notebook at a table. "And lastly I am Millie."

"Nice to meet you all even under these terrifying circumstances." I said.

Caleb walked over to a closet in a corner and opened it. He took out a sleeping bag and pillow. He walked over to me and threw them into my arms. "Here, you can stay the night if thats what you wanted." He snapped.

"Um.. thanks. Can I stay the night, I'll leave early in the morning if yiu want me too." I said turning towards Millie.

"You can stay the night or as long as you need to as long as you help out around the farm. Caleb has to butcher the cows in the morning, you can help him." She looked at Caleb and gave him a smile. He looked angry and frustrated. But he went to another cabinet and pulled out a small box.

"Go lay out your sleeping bag over there." Millie pointed to a spot by the stove. I'll stay warm at least. Caleb took out three cans and a bag of apples out of the box. Sadie put the box back in the cabinet. I went to the stove and laid my bag down and sat on it. I opened the bag that I had brought with me. I packed it with things when I first started running from the groaners. I pulled out my notebook and pen. I have been journaling everyday since the diesel started to spread. Caleb came over to the stove and turned it on. He started to cook whatever was in the cans.

"Why are you alone?" He asked me.

"My ah...ah parents...were...."