Chapter 4

The day continued as if nothing had changed. Heisuke with the eighth division and Okita with the first went out on their patrols.

Saito filled out paperwork along with Hijikata. Kondou trained excessively with Harada and Shinpachi.

Everything seemed quite normal throughout the day. The actions of the previous night were only occasionally discussed while asking Chizuru of her condition. Aside from in trawling in conversation with the captains, Chizuru attended to her chores.

She cleaned the floors, washed the divisions dirty blues, tended to the flowers she cared for, and began cooking for the captains. As Chizuru busied herself she had completely forgot about the tension she had created not only with Okita, but also the other captains.

It seemed the furies' attack on Chizuru the previous night had made everyone alert and ready for battle.

Chizuru rushed back and forth in the kitchen area preparing the night's meal. She was so concentrated on cooking that she didn't sense Okita's presence at the doorway.

Okita leaned against the door frame watching Chizuru work diligently. He smiled a bit at the woman, but it quickly receded from his face.

'What are you doing? Aren't you suppose to stay away from her? If you continue to stay around her she could eventually break you. You know that.'

Once again Okita's inner voice chimed in to scold him. Okita frowned and turned to leave. Once his back was turned he head a painful hiss from behind.

Okita's head snapped back to Chizuru who held her hand in a vice like grip. Her palm oozed with thick red blood. It took only him a moment to assess the situation.

Chizuru had been cutting vegetables quickly and briskly. She must have lost her focus and cut herself. "Nnngh," Chizuru breathed a painful hiss again. The cut was deep enough to make her wince in pain.

Chizuru was about to wash and bandage her hand when long fingers wrapped around her wrist. Chizuru gasped at the sudden contact and twisted her head up to see the assailant. When her eyes landed onto a familiar face she let out a relieved breath. 'It's only Okita-san.'

Okita lightly pulled Chizuru's hand toward him so he could examine the severity of the wound. But before he could even attempt this, Chizuru's skin began to heal and connect back to its regular tissue combination.

'Of course, she's a demon. Her wound would heal quickly... like a fury.' Okita thought in wonder as he observed the woman's now healed hand. Chizuru noticed this as well and tried desperately to pull her hand away from Okita. Okita tightened his grip on Chizuru; his eyes never left her scarless hand.

'He must be disgusted by me,' Chizuru thought to herself in humiliation.

She finally managed to pull away from Okita and rushed immediately to the bear by water pan. Chizuru dipped her hand in the cool water to rid herself of her blood. Okita watched her cautiously. Her movements showed fear of something. Rejection? Shame? Anger?

After the cleansing Chizuru turned and faced Okita. She quickly bowed her head in an apologetic manner, this caused Okita to widen his eyes in surprise.

"Okita-san, I'm sorry for my clumsiness. Please forgive me," Chizuru pleaded with Okita.

After his shock weared off Okita narrowed his eyes watching Chizuru carefully. He was angry. No. He was pissed.

Not at her, not at the fact that she hurt herself; it was the idea that she had to apologize to him. He just couldn't stand for that.

He took a couple long strides over to Chizuru and reached out for her. He placed his fingers under her chin and lifted her face up. He wanted to be eye to eye with her when he told her this. "Don't you even say that, Chizuru-chan. Just don't. There's no reason for it."

Okita's eyes drifted to the side slightly taking his focus from the woman in front of him. 'Dammit... what am I doing?' He was letting this get it him way too much. What was happening to him?

Chizuru took in Okita's distant look and was quick to try and brighten his mood. Chizuru plastered a smile on her face and spoke to Okita, "Of course Okita-san. I'm fine, promise."

Okita's eyes snapped back into focus and stared at Chizuru. 'This woman...'

Okita copied Chizuru's lead and smiled as well. "Heh... clumsy kid." Okita patted Chizuru's head affectionately. At least that he didn't have to fake. ...Even if he wanted to.

Trying to shake his emotions he began to ruffle the woman's hair. Chizuru began to blush furiously and tried to escape Okita's onslaught. At her attempts Okita started to laugh with true humor.

The tension built up between Okita and Chizuru was diminished within a few laughs. No matter how much Okita tried to push her away she always found her way back to him. He finally gave up on pushing her away and just welcomed her.

Okita didn't speak this, but it was obvious. His actions spoke for themselves. He stopped avoiding her and treating her as coldly as he had. Chizuru seemed to glow with happiness at his acceptance.

He couldn't deny that he was enjoying her presence either. Her reactions to his teasing were quite satisfying. Why did he ever fight this?

Moments like that almost made them forget about the rising tension that Japan was locked in. Civil war was on the horizon. All things, even good things, meet their end. For some it's worse than others.