Chapter 2 | Why Did The Wolf Cross The Road?

2 | Why did the wolf cross the road?

There was a time where she knew this town like the back of her hand. Now she struggled to remember which way the grocery store was. It was a quiet little town, there were some buildings she didn't remember being there: a cute bakery, a hair & nail salon, and an Asian grocery mart. Hmm, she thought, I'll see if they've got rice-cakes. 

She remembered the dusty hardware store called Foster's, a small store for old bridal dresses, a decent grocery mart, and the clairvoyant's shop which, to her surprise, was still open. Beautiful glittery crystals hung in the window and emblazoned in gold on the glass read The Coven, since 1916 Iona Amethyst. Selene's mother went to see her often, often times taking Selene along with her. At that time, she must've been at least eighty years old and she contemplated the possibility she may not even be alive. 

The few renovated stores and bars were the only things reminding her that the town wasn't totally off the grid.

The door pinged when she walked into the pharmacy, and she was pleasantly surprised to see that this store was also newly renovated. It smelt pristine, and the shelves were stacked with balms and oils and ailments of all kinds. Even some higher end makeup brands Selene told herself to come back for. An older gentleman stepped out from the back room, wearing an army green shirt rolled to his elbows, and suspenders, looking through paperwork. He had kind eyes, hidden beneath thick greying eyebrows and round glasses. 

"Oh hi, I'll be with you in a second."

"Thank you, I'm just here to pick up a prescription," she stated politely.

He lifted his head to look at her and, after a second of staring, his face lit up in recognition. "Well, I'll be damned," He barked out a laugh, looking at her up and down and abandoning his paperwork. "Selene Donovan, did you think you could walk in here and think I wouldn't recognize you?"

She didn't know what to say and chuckled to hide her awkwardness when she didn't recognize him. "Yeah, we moved back just today." She forgot that everyone knew everyone. "Just picking up some errands to help out."

"You are a spitting image of your mama. Your daddy and I used to be great friends. You used to come over and play with my daughter Abigail." 

She suddenly recognized his face but ten years younger with dark hair. Instantly, the memory of making mud potions in their backyard came to mind. "Oh, Mr. Levi..." she sputtered out an embarrassed laugh, "I'm so sorry, how could I forget."

He had changed. He looked older, wiser. He was also the town's only veterinarian and used to looked after her old fluffy cat, Daisy who'd lost an eye and half her ear before she'd adopted her. Abigail was her childhood friend; dark-haired and blue-eyed with huge braces and an obsession with horses. "How is Abigail?"

"She's great. She's getting married in a couple weeks, I'll be sure to mention you next time she calls," His smile widened, and he chuckled. "I'll forgive you this once for not recognizing me, it's probably the beard. How's your daddy been these past couple years? It's been a while since we heard any sort of whisper through the grapevine." He walked around the desk to face her fully and tucked his hands into the pockets of his black slacks.

She didn't know how to answer and recalled earlier when he'd taken the tumble on the steps. "He's doing great," she smiled and then added, "Aunt Ruth came down with us too, makes things easier on him, I guess."

She saw in an instant the grimace that crossed his face and his smile faded, and she wondered if she'd said something wrong. "That right? Now that's certainly a surprise..." his expression changed abruptly, and the wide smile returned, one that touched his eyes, "Do tell old Tommy to stop by some time. It'd be good to catch up."