Chapter 26

Jake rolled off the couch as the first rays of sun light came through the window. He had to meet Bella and Edward in a little over an hour. He walked toward his room, the floor cool under his feet. This would all be over tomorrow. He stood in the door way for a moment, watching Chloe sleep. She would leave and he would probably never see her again. She would go back to New York and her rich friends. She probably wouldn’t even look back once she left, this would all just become a distant memory. All he would be was one more heart she had broken. He stepped into the room and eased himself onto the side of the bed. Her eyes snapped open.

Chloe bolted up when she saw Jake. It had just been a dream, a horrible dream. She smiled faintly and tried to get the image of his blood covered body out of her mind. They all tried to convince her that they were in no danger, that fighting the newborns would be easy. But it wouldn’t be, it could be fatal. But that hadn’t been the worst part of her nightmare, no the worst part had been knowing that they all could have been spared if she hadn’t been here. If she had left when she had the chance.

“I have to go.” She said suddenly. “Leah will be awake soon.”

“I can walk you back.” Jake said as she stood.

“No, I’ll be fine.” Chloe jerked her socks on and shoved her feet into her wet sneakers.

“Chloe, I can’t let you walk that far on your own.”

“I’ll be fine, besides if I can do it in the dark I can defiantly find my way now.” She looked at him for a moment. “Be careful.”

“I always am.” He followed her to the door. “I’ll let you know as soon as its over.”

Chloe nodded as she opened the door. “Thanks, kill a newborn for me.”

“I will.” He leaned against the wall as she stepped outside. “My door is always open, even if its late.” He smirked, “so is my bed.”

Chloe rolled her eyes, “bye Jake.”

Chloe was half way to Leah’s house when she heard something behind her. She glanced behind her, nothing was there. She kept walking, quickening her step. She heard a twig snap and broke into a run. She glanced behind her as she closed in on Leah’s house. Someone in a black hoodie was chasing her. Her feet barely touched the steps and she ran up them and shoved the door open, diving inside and she closed it behind her. Leah was standing at the bottom of the steps, staring at her.

“Chloe, what’s wrong?” She asked. “Where have you been?”

“Something…someone was following me.” Chloe gasped out. “It’s still out there.”

Leah looked out the window then opened the door. She stuck her arm out and dragged Seth in. “Were you chasing Chloe?” She demanded, glaring at her little brother.

“I just wanted to know where she went, I didn’t think she’d hear me.” He looked at Chloe. “Sorry. I wasn’t trying to scare you.”

“Its ok,” Chloe said, trying to slow her heart. “I’m going to change.” She headed up stairs, taking the steps two at a time. She glanced around her room, making sure nothing had been moved then sank onto her bed. Her phone rang making her jump off her bed in surprise. She snatched her phone off her bed.

“Hello.”

“Chloe, its Jasper.” He seemed to sigh with relief when he heard her voice. “How are you?”

“I’m fine,” she snapped. “Why did you lie to me?”

“He told you.” Jasper stated. “I didn’t want you to worry and Alice wasn’t sure.”