3: Hanging Out

Mom's car pulled up to the address I gave her and I double checked my phone to make sure everything was right. She stopped me before I got out, telling me when she'd pick me up, and when I got out, I waved to her car as she drove away.

"You made it!" Brendan exclaimed as I walked into the backyard, seeing a big group of our friends hanging out in front of the bonfire.

"I told you I was coming when I left my house," I said, walking over to a small group of people.

"I know. Do you want anything to drink?" he asked, walking over to some coolers, with me following.

"Just a Sprite."

He handed me a can of soda and I snapped it open, walking back over to the fire. It crackled and popped as embers flew all around us, smoke floating up and away in the air. A shiver ran down my spine as I looked up at the stars, causing me to stick my hands closer to the fire.

"You cold?" Brendan asked, looking down at me and smiling. "Here's my jacket," he said, wrapping it around my shoulders. I gave him a shy smile and looked back at the fire, making some small talk with Tristan and Alex.

"Where's your bathroom?" I asked, finishing my drink and excusing myself from the boys.

"When you go in, go through the kitchen, down the hall to your left, and the bathroom is at the end of the hall," Brendan explained. I nodded and as I walked into the kitchen, I threw my empty can away and then headed to the bathroom.

I looked at myself in the mirror and just smiled. 'Brendan and me are finally friends again,' I thought, smiling more and watching my blush in the mirror grow bigger. I walked out after a second and ran right into someone as I turned into the kitchen.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know anyone was in here," I said, looking up. "Mrs. Costner. I'm really sorry."

"Mackenzie? Oh my gosh! How have you been? It's been what, three years?" she exclaimed, jumping with excitement as she guided me over to the couch.

"I've been good. I like the redecorating," I said, looking at their rearranged living room. "And sorry I haven't been around. Me and Brendan kind of grew apart."

"Thank you sweetie and I remember when you first moved here. Brendan use to talk about you all the time. And when you guys got into eighth grade, he got so excited that you had a couple classes together. He got even more excited when you guys where partners a few times."

"Really? He didn't seem to be that excited," I stated.

"Well he was. And the first day of that year, he came home and told me that you had gotten so much more beautiful. And looking at you right now, I wish you would've stuck around so I could watch how much you had grown. You're are such a beautiful young lady," she said, pulling me into a hug.

"Thank you. You're going to make me cry," I said, wiping away a stray tear. She let out a laugh and wiped away a tear of her own, causing me to laugh.

"Well I don't want to keep you from your friends. I hope I get to see you more often," she said, causing both of us to get up.

"You definitely will. I'll come and say goodbye before I leave," I said, walking out the back door and going back over to Brendan.

"You girls take forever to pee! I thought you had fallen into the toilet or something!" Brendan said, smirking at me as I started to laugh.

"Right. I was just talking to your mom. As you can see, I didn't fall into the toilet or something," I laughed out, pushing his arm slightly.