Chapter 16

I find the wall safe that Alex told me about and punch in the five digit code to unlock it. It swings open with ease and reveals at least twenty different blood bags neatly stacked.

I pick a blood bag at random and devour the liquid heaven as soon as I smell the intoxicating scent. I drain the blood completely dry and before I know it, I reach for a second.

Each drop that enters my mouth fills my body with pure satisfaction as the endorphins race through my veins. I have never felt a pleasure quite like this.

I empty the second bag in record time and begin on my third, draining the contents so fast that blood drips down my chin. As I squeeze the last few drops into my mouth I move myself back toward the giant king bed and sprawl out across the indulgent bed coverings.

I collect the drops of blood from my chin on my fingers and continue to lick each finger separately until no trace of blood remains.

A smile has grown on my face so large that it stretches easily from ear to ear and I don't try to hide it. This is the happiest I have been ever since I became a vampire. Since I even came to this castle. Since I was taken from Alex.

Suddenly, I don't feel like smiling anymore. I instead turn onto my stomach and let my hands touch the silk embodied quilt that hangs over each side of Alex's bed. I eagerly rest my head against the smooth and cool touch of the fabric and let myself picture Alex lying here next to me.

I imagine us lying between the sheets together wearing nothing but our love for each other just as we have done many times before. Alex pulls a stray curl of hair from over my shoulder and begins to twirl it around his finger, fascinated by the sensation as I giggle at his amazement. His eyes meet mine and a cheeky grin forms in the corners of his lips making my own grow wider.

I picture him pulling me closer toward him until I am surrounded in him. I picture him kissing my neck, down to my shoulder and then back up again. I picture me closing my eyes and biting my lip as his kiss gently makes its way back over to my mouth. When our lips meet, I picture passion erupting in our usual way but with more ferocity than ever. Every inch of my being screaming out that I must have him, I must have more.

I picture him pulling his mouth from mine and as I open my eyes to plead with him for more, I picture that he is not there. Instead, Cail hovers above me with a look of devilish charm as he devours my soul with his eyes.

I sit up in a hurry and literally shake the image from my mind. What was that?

I run my hands through my hair and glare at the painting on the wall. Instead of relishing the sight of Alex as he stares intently back toward me, I instead fixate my gaze on Cail.

I narrow my eyes at his and feel my breathing hitch. What is going on with me that Cail can override a day dream?

I stand and retrieve one of the empty blood bags from beside me whilst never breaking eye contact with the silent Cail.

"What have you done to me?" I ask to the painting, my tone conveying the anger inside of me.

Even though I know there can be no response, I still find myself grow irritated that he doesn't answer my question.

"What have you done to me?" Without realising, I throw the empty blood bag across the room, hitting the painting right where Cail stands.

Cail's silent face stares back to me with the same smug smile of victory but I only see a look of mockery as he looks down on me in amusement.

Feeling myself being pushed to breaking point I wrap my fingers around a nearby lamp and throw it across the room. It shatters on the stone mantle just above the fireplace but does nothing to ease my anger. I reach once more but this time grab the entire side table and toss it toward the fireplace.