chapter twenty four

Grayson's pov:

I nervously stepped up the path of my own home, an unfamiliar feeling swarming me. I'd never felt this anxious to be returning home, but this was different. I wanted to talk to my dad, and find out why he acted the way he did towards Kaylee and Ethan.
Heavy footsteps were heard making their way towards the door, and I knew it was my dad, since my mom was stood right behind me. She was just as anxious, maybe even more. The woman was completely aware of how her husband had been acting for the past few days since the announcement, and it's scaring her.
The door was pulled open, a draft of fresh air hitting my face as my dad stood in front of me. He looked tired, his facial hair visible and scruffy, making him look lazy. I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't been to work during this time, since the last thing he would want to do is look unorganised.

My mother stepped inside, moving her hand in a motion as if to welcome me into my own home. However, when I tried to step in, a hand was placed on my shoulder, stopping me from getting any closer. It was like he was barricading me, shutting me out of not just the house, but his inner feelings.
" Sean, he's your son and he lives here. He's coming in " My mom said sternly, taking his arm and attempting to put him at ease.
It didn't work, as the next thing I knew was his hands were placed on my neck and upper arm, and he was pushing me against the wall of our front porch. My mom let out a shriek or horror as she watched my own father pin me against the bricks, a look of pain and anger in his eyes, which soon faded. Both of our breathing was heavy, my dad's nostrils flared as he tried to calm himself down. I didn't know what to do, and I definitely wasn't about to hit my father. If this was someone that I disliked, or despised, I would lunge at them before they could even blink. But this wasn't... this was my dad. The man that raised me, taught me that I was good enough, and pushed me to do everything that I wanted to do.
I saw the flicker of guilt flash in his eyes as his muscles relaxed, looking as if he could faint within any second. It was like someone had flicked a switch in his head, that allowed him to drop me from his hold, and collapse into my arms. He was a crying mess, tears staining my thrasher hoodie that Isabella had bought me for no particular reason.
" Grayson- " He begun, his words muffled in the fabric of my clothing.
I didn't know how to react, and so I did what any son would do; comforted him. I hugged him back, the piece of the puzzle that was missing the past few days now back in it's rightful spot.
" shh, it's okay dad... " I whispered, pulling away for a brief moment to look at the man.
" it's not, son. I messed up, I don't think I can fix it this time " My father sobbed, so vulnerable in front of me.
That was something completely foreign. My dad showing his true emotions, loud and clear.
My dad taught me a lot of great things, but one thing that I would have appreciated to have known from a father was that it's okay to not be okay. Sometimes I felt so down, so in my own bubble of negativity, that I didn't show it. I thought that I couldn't. Because I had to have this image, being that rich kid that had everything in life, that rich kid that had it all, except for happiness. It was like I wasn't aloud to be upset, because I had no right to be. I had privileges, I had everything I could have ever dreamed of, but those things don't automatically come with big smiles... or at least real smiles.
Looking at my dad as he leaned against me, his head buried in his hands, made my heart ache. It was almost a representation of me, of how I used to feel, before I had Isabella. Before I was taught that I could be vulnerable, because I'm human.
" I'm just... so protective of the family, and it felt as if I had no choice- " My dad continued, wiping his eyes as his wife rubbed his back soothingly.
" you did have a choice, dad. I understand that you're scared and shocked, but Ethan needs you. Kaylee needs you, even though you might not have gotten the perfect first impression because of this... but you know someone else who needs you? That baby, needs you... dad. And I don't want my niece or nephew growing up without a grandpa " I breathed out, a light chuckle escaping my lips as I finished my sentence.
My father smiled a little bit, sighing in defeat as he regained his posture, and pulled me in for another hug.
" we need to support them, Sean... and I can guarantee that Kaylee is a sweet girl, you'll love her " My mom smiled, one of her true and gorgeous grins.
There was a long pause of silence, the question that I knew my dad wanted to ask about to come out. Before he could even say it, I placed my hand on his shoulder, cutting him off with a slight smile.

" yes... you're going to be a grandpa, dad "

___________________________

*sobs*