Chapter Fifty-eight

"What an evening," I remarked shyly as Dimitri and I walked along to the path that led to guest housing. I kept sneaking glances at him as we walked arm in arm back to our suite. It was just before midnight, and while the party was still in full swing, Dimitri and I had had enough; we wanted to adjourn for a somewhat more private celebration.

"It was certainly eventful," my Russian God ruefully replied.

"Thank you for taking me."

"I wouldn't have missed it for anything, Guardian Hathaway," Dimitri grinned as we stepped into the elevator.

"Hmm," I sighed happily as I leaned against the wall of the lift. "Say that again..."

"I wouldn't have missed it for anything?" he teased, knowing where I was going with this.

"Nope, not that bit..."

"Ahh... You mean Guardian Hathaway," he crooned, stepping forward and using his body to push me hard against the wood paneling.

"Uh ha," I moaned, slipping my arms up beneath his to grasp his back as he leaned down and kissed me.

"Do you like me kissing you, Guardian Hathaway?" he asked with a calculating grin.

"You know I do," I mewled.

"Good – because I've wanted to do it ever since you walked off that stage this afternoon," he growled, returning his lips to mine, our small kisses quickly heating up.

The lift car ground to a stop, and Dimitri sighed, pulling himself away from me as the doors opened on our floor.

"Come on, Roza," Dimitri said, his brown orbs dancing with desire.

Letting ourselves into the unit, we found Paul asleep on one sofa, Vika curled up reading on the other.

"How was it?" she whispered. "I want to know everything!"

Dimitri gritted his jaw in frustration and I smiled, pulling my heels off and flopping down beside my sister-in-law on the sofa. We clearly weren't getting out of this in any hurry, so Dimitri pulled over a dining chair, sitting in front of us and patting his knee, indicating I should put my feet up on him. I did so and was immediately rewarded when his hands started to knead my feet.

"Comrade – I love you," I moaned softly as his deft fingers found all the sore spots. Five-inch heels looked great, but I doubted there was any way to make them comfortable.

"So?!" Viktoria prompted impatiently.

"It was good," I said, not knowing what else she wanted to know.

"What happened? Did Tasha do anything? What was with that dress she was almost wearing? I mean you could basically see her..." Vika's hands were gesturing in the region of her lap.

Dimitri snorted, in the first indication he'd been aware Tasha's dress had not been entirely appropriate.

"She attracted a lot of attention," I said diplomatically, thinking about the swarms of Moroi men who'd been keen to score a dance with a view to perhaps scoring something a bit more.

"I bet. She looked like trash!"

"Trasha!" I mumbled under my breath. I liked it!

"You should have seen her by the end of the evening," Dimitri said, his lips tightly pursed in a poorly suppressed smile.

"Yeah – she definitely looked like trash by then!"

"What happened?" Vika demanded. She could smell an amusing story.