Chapter Eight

The sight of that yellow car sent my stomach acid into a whirl pool. I shook my head and rushed towards shelter, which was the dormitory. My lungs were grasping for air while I continued to fight the endless rain showering upon me. My eyes had a dead lock on the doors while I tried to fight the shrill voice in my head telling me that Garrett was in the campus. Anyway why would I care if there was a yellow car outside? I mean anyone could own a yellow car right? I have to stop assuming it was Garrett's all the time.

With a groan and a couple of dramatic sighs and a whole lot of panting, I reached the building soaked in rain water as well as sweat....if that was possible. I pulled the door open and was met with a blast of cool air and that was when I noticed that it was ridiculously cold inside and I was freezing. I clutched my bag for support and wearily trudge inside, trying to conceal my ever shivering limbs. The scent of lemons filled the air making my nose crinkle.

"Ms. Emerson!" I stopped mid-track and glanced at Ms. Peppers who had a deep scowl on her face. I gulped and looked at my appearance through the reflective elevator doors.  The ponytail I once had was now loosely hanging over my shoulders making me look like a strangled mermaid. My shirt was practically see through and it clearly showed my undergarment. Also, everything about me was dripping wet due to the rain I single-handed defeated. The burning beneath the skin of my cheeks was too intense. I wonder if it could compete with the hot sun blazing over Arizona during the summer.

I looked down at my feet and noticed the small puddle forming around me. I groaned and adjusted the bag on my shoulder which was now a whole lot heavier due to the water. I just hope my books would be okay. I turned around and gave Ms. Peppers a bright smile hoping that she would give me a brief lecture so I could dash up to my room and take a nice warm shower and change my clothes.

"Good um afternoon to you too Ms. Peppers." I said rather cheerily. She gave me a once over and shook her head, clearly expressing her disgust.

"I hope that this will be the first and last time this would happen Ms. Emerson." She said in a hard cold voice, just like the weather outside. Her hands stacked the papers neatly on her desk and nodded her head stiffly motioning for me to go.

"Yes. Of course Ms. Peppers. See you later!" I replied, still on the edge. I quickly went over to the elevator and pressed the circular silver button on the side. I watched it glow to life and impatiently tapped my foot and watched the pointer finger reach the L, aka the lobby sign.

Once the doors were open, I hurried inside not wanting to ruin the lobby floors any longer. My bag was dripping wet which did not help calm my nerves about my books and other school essentials. I had around a week of school left can't they wait to get ruined after classes?

I shuffled uncomfortably in the elevator and sighed in relief once it reached my floor. Well the floor where in my room was. It's not really my floor. I don't own this building okay I think I'm rambling too much.

The reflective doors opened and I scurried down the hall, not bothering to explain to my fellow floor mates why I was so conceitedly wet. All of their faces said the same thing. What the hell is up with her? Oh you know, I wanted to walk across the rain and let myself get sick and you know, get chills in my bones.

I kept a calm expression on my face despite the fact that I wanted to scream at my books and my clothes and--drumroll please--the fact that Garrett might be here. I'd like to think about my books and clothes more but you know...I doubt Garrett wil ever get out of my head.

I stopped in front of my door and turned the knob only to find it locked. Surprised by it being locked, I dug inside my pocket for the key and opened the door. Usually Reece came in earlier than me but it looks like today was an exception. I wonder where she went off to now. It's raining and I doubt there'e a good place to hang out in this weather.