The Dispelling of Myths

There are many tales are told of Middle-earth: some fantastic and some ordinary; some epic and some intimate; some true and some misguided. Over the passage of many long and weary years, much of history has been forgotten, and that which has remained in memory has not always been correctly recalled. Many a feat of true heroism has gone long unnoticed, many a tale of courage and virtue left untold; and countless mythical tales are then invented to fill the void left by the absence of the true accounts. Thus, much of the truth has been embellished, and much has been presented as truth that is not truth at all.

It has been said in many a legend-yes, and even in many a reliable historical account-that during the Third Age of Middle-earth, the the dwarvish kingdom of Erebor and the Human city of Dale were laid waste by Smaug the Dragon, who slaughtered many and forced the survivors to flee for their lives. It is said, in these accounts, that after many years of exile the brave and stubborn dwarf-prince Thorin II (known also as Thorin Oakenshield) set out from the Shire with a group of companions in a quest to reclaim the Lonely Mountain, an endeavor which culminated in the death of Smaug (who was slain by a descendant of the king of Dale: Bard of Esgaroth), after which began a great battle known as the Battle of the Five Armies. It is told, both in written script and by word of mouth, that Thorin was mortally wounded, and fell in battle along with his two sister-sons Fíli and Kíli, after which Thorin's kinsman Dáin II-that is, Dáin of the Iron Hills-was made king in Thorin's stead.

In all this the accounts are true and reliable, or at least mostly so.

However, it has also been recounted (both in legend and historical document) that it was in the Battle of the Five Armies that Thorin Oakenshield met his final and brutal fate, and that he and his sister-sons perished there during the campaign to reclaim Erebor. It is said that shortly after the great battle, and before the coronation of Dáin, a funeral for Thorin was held in Erebor: they say that the fallen king was buried with the Arkenstone on his breast, entombed forever in stone and honored along with his fallen kin.

And it is here, I am afraid, that the much-believed accounts begin to err somewhat: for though it is true that Thorin and his sister-sons fell, they did not perish. And though it is true that Dáin II Ironfoot was crowned in place of Thorin Oakenshield, it was not in Thorin's absence, but rather it was done with Thorin's consent. For, in what was surely his greatest display of courage and dignity, Thorin Oakenshield perceived the true needs of his people, and therefore in good will surrendered that which he had so greatly desired for so long. In this, he made a decision that has ever since been renowned (by those who still recall how it truly happened) as the virtuous choice of a true king.

And so here follows the true account of the events which took place after the reclaiming of Erebor, after the death of Smaug the Golden and after the Battle of the Five Armies. They are events that have long been distorted and obscured through the hazy lens of time-passage; but I would now bring them to light. I would now bring clearly to the forefront of history that which has become only a vague and blurred backdrop for other events that have been considered more exciting.

Here follows, then, a trustworthy account of the fate which befell the valiant Sons of Durin.