The Stars of Amdireth

When Kíli entered Erebor for the second time that day, this time accompanied by the stately Elvenking, he received even more strange looks than he had the first time, when he had come alone. Despite this, however, none of those who glanced with curiosity and suspicion made any attempt to delay him. Kíli guessed that Dáin had perhaps spoken to them and set straight the matter of Kíli's newly acquired royal authority: or else they were still wary after the claim he had made about dying and being restored to life. Yet, whether they respected him as their king or simply avoided him because they suspected him of insanity, it made little difference; he was free to come and go as he pleased, and apparently with whomever he chose to do so. Some of the Dwarves shot Thranduil a hurried glare or two, but for the most part they were content to let him pass with little acknowledgement and no interference.

And so they came soon to the treasury, where lay the hoard of wealth that had built up over time in the kingdom of Durin's folk. There was gold aplenty, coins enough to pave the streets of Dale and still have some left over-say nothing of the precious stones and gems that were scattered throughout the heap, glittering like bright eyes through the twilit gloom. The air was thick and close, still heavy with years of dragon-brooding, and had a sense of foreboding about it. Kíli was almost hesitant to enter the vast corridor, for fear that his eyes would light upon the riches and his heart would be corrupted by the sight; for was he not the king now, and had not kings greater and stronger than he been driven to madness by their desire for gold? Had not Thorin fallen into such lust and greed, and did Kíli have any reason to think himself a better person than his uncle had been?

But there was nothing for it: he had agreed to turn the White Gems of Lasgalen over to Lord Thranduil, and so he knew he would have to follow through with his promise. And he owed it to his own people to accompany the Elvenking into the treasury, so that when asked he might be able to verify that Thranduil had taken nothing more than that which had been agreed upon.

"Well," Kíli said, as the two stepped through the door, "here it is-the treasury of Erebor. Your gems should be in here somewhere." Hadn't Thorin said something about the gems, about how Thranduil would "pay a pretty price" for them? He cast about the room, scanning the massive heaps of gold and silver and jewels and trying to remember where he had last seen those gems after which the Elf-king sought.

Thranduil also looked around, and let out a disgusted little sigh. "So much wealth, all locked up here where it shall never be any good to anyone. More gold than could be used in many mortal lifetimes. What is the point of it all?"

"Well, legend has it that you have quite the hoard, yourself," replied Kíli. "Anyway, it always pays to have a well-stocked treasury."

"It would seem that Smaug the Dragon agreed with this sentiment, at least," Thranduil coolly responded.

"The dragon is dead," said Kíli.

Thranduil stepped out onto a raised stone balcony that overlooked the room, a vantage point from which he could see out across the golden sea and get a better idea of the room's contents. His expression was one of incredulous disdain, but also perhaps a little envy, as though perhaps he did not think it right for the hoard of a Dwarf-kingdom to put the wealth of his own treasury to shame. And indeed, it put to shame almost every treasury that was on Middle-earth in those days. Few kingdoms could rival in wealth that which lay in the Lonely Mountain, save perhaps Moria with its great supply of mithril.

"I warned the gold-obsessed Dwarf-king of what his greed would summon, that it would bring dire grief upon his house and all who belonged to him. But did he take my counsel to heart? One may as well ask if the river would reverse its course." Thranduil shook his head scornfully. "Ah, Dwarves!-with their obstinate ways and foolish notions! What good is such wealth, when one has not the wisdom to manage it? Yet ever do your people pursue wealth and spurn wisdom."