The Social Club

JOHN'S POV

John Watson was feeling lonely. His small apartment was empty. He only used one tea cup, one plate, and one chair at his table for two. John's life was boring ever since he got home from the war, and with little to no friends, he never talked. That is, of course, outside of his family medicine practice in London; he had to talk to his patients there. But aside from work, who would want to talk to poor broken John with a bad leg, psychosomatic limp, and a nervous twitch.

While on the internet one quiet night, John found an organization that finds people like himself based on how he fills out a questionnaire. (match.com sort of thing I guess but for friends) It's worth a try John thought. Even if it didn't work out, he still might learn something or meet some people. So John filled out a form online and hoped that they could find him a friend in three to four business days.

In the meantime, John bicycled to work like he usually did, saw patients, and went back home, only to eat and sleep alone. A few uneventful days later he was thinking about his new future friend while writing a prescription for a complaining patient. They were probably somewhere in London, working a job, possibly thinking about their future match--him.

When John got home after a busy day, he immediately checked his email. To his surprise, he found a response from the organization! John opened the email with anticipation. His heart was racing. Girl or boy? Tall or short? Funny or serious? Good looking or smart? Or both? John's mind was in a tizzy. He read:

From: London Area Club of Connections

To: John Watson

Your match is: Sherlock Holmes