Chapter Two:The Night Assassin

In the kingdom of Askia, the arch enemies of kirkwood, King Gable spoke with the assassin he sent for and told him what he ought to do and who should be killed. The king had some doubts about the assassin and asked him one repeatedly if he could execute his job

    The assassin replied to the king by saying if he was paid to kill him he wouldn't be standing here discussing with him

    The assassin was promised 2000 pieces of gold and given 1500 pieces outrightly. He left to begin his journey to Kirkwood.

    The king reminisced how his only son and heir to the kingdom was killed by orders of King Egmond. He was told by the messengers that the king did not know his son was royalty until after he died and the banner of house Hearst was found in his possessions. King Gable was still certain that the king made up that story. He smirked on the thought of King Egmond finding his own son dead and spoke aloud saying, "A son for a son Egmond Corbett".

    The feast in kirkwood commenced with the ceremonial horn heralded. The feast was celebrated to commemorate the century existence of kirkwood. Prince Ryan and his sister Brienne were taking care of the formalities accompanied with a great feast.

    The king's attention was called by the King's guard Ser Barkley who informed the king that an urgent issue awaited him at his official chambers. The king replied ser Barkley saying that the matter could wait till after the feast. Ser Barkley told him about the urgency of the matter and finally concluded with it's about your son.

    The king swiftly left the hall to his official chambers where he met a man who told him about this hired assassin. The king reminded him that he was in his presence and asked him to swear before him which the former did.

    The king further told him that he would get his reward once this assassin was found and killed. The informant turned his back to the king walking towards the door and the king stopped him asking for his name which he replied Reed,my lord.

      On the arrival of king Henry of middle town  with his son prince Axel and king Oswald of Merrillville,the king returned to the hall and the three men exchanged pleasantries. Prince Ryan and Princess Brienne sat at the table with their father. They ate and drank to their satisfaction,the king occasionally calling for more ale to be brought to the table. They also talked about how King Hawke and his kingdom, Igleton was conquered.The markets on the streets were empty as people went to their houses to celebrate the feast while some equally went to the tavern to drink and do all kinds of activities.

    The feast was concluded at mid-day with the Knights of kirkwood escorting their guests out of the kingdom to grant them a safe passage.

    The king received reports of two deaths in the castle at dusk. The court physician, Sandor was called to examine the cause of death which he gave as strangulation on seeing the marks on the throat.

   The king knew that the two deaths were unconnected with the assassin. He told the guards to double security at prince Ryan room and told them that he wanted the assassin found and killed.

    The assassin bemused that he was unable to find prince Ryan went to his informant holding him by the jugular and asked him why there was so much security in the castle. The informant replied by saying perhaps because of the feast. The assassin released his grip and he was sent sprawling on the floor.

    The assassin told him that he would be spending the night in his house. The assassin decided to lay low and wait till dusk the following day to strike.

    Prince Ryan was called to the official Chambers of the King for a private meeting. The king told him that an assassin was in kirkwood to kill him and informed him about the two guards that were killed the previous day. The prince replied his father saying, That's why two guards were stationed at my room last night and the king nodded affirmatively.

    Dusk soon approached and tightened security followed it. The assassin once again gained access to the castle, creeping and looking around for the Prince's Chambers. He quickly saw a shadow and hid behind the wall close to the stairs. He saw a woman walking up the stairs and he followed her, stalking and creeping.

    He heard her telling the guards that at the first room that she was with the prince's garment and they opened the door for her. He then knew it was the Prince's room. He waited for the servant to depart before taking the same route she did to the prince's room.

    He was stopped by the guards and when asked for his mission he replied, "Princess Brienne asked me to bring this bracelet to the Prince reaching into his pocket. The guards opened the door and he entered swiftly.

   He found the prince undressing at the corner of his room and quickly hid behind the wardrobe without the prince seeing him. He was going to kill the prince once he lay in bed quietly.

    The prince soon after lay in his bed. The assassin waited for some minutes before creeping out behind the wardrobe towards the bed. He brought out a dagger ready to drive it into the heart of the prince.

    Princess Brienne entered into the room catching him off guard and screamed waking her brother up in the process. He quickly grabbed the princess  putting a knife at her throat before the guards entered.

   He was reminded by the prince  that there was no way he would leave kirkwood alive. The assassin remained reluctant in releasing the princess from his grip. The princess swiftly hit him down below and he was sent sprawling to the ground, his bracelet falling out in the process.

    He stood up trying to run then he realised he was completely surrounded. He threw his dagger on the floor in yield and he was arrested and taken to the dungeon.

   The next day he was brought before the king and charged with treason. The king ordered  his accomplice to be found. The assassin was taken back to his cell.

   At mid-day the guards brought a man to the king's chambers as the assassin's accomplice. He was charged with treason before the king and council. Before being carried out of king's chambers the king recognised him and said aren't you the lad who drew my attention to the assassin.

    The lad looked away sheepishly and the king called him by his name Reed. The king told him that his foolish attempt to deceive him was the reason why he was in his position and above all greed was the cause of his predicament.

    He was taken to his cell to be executed along with the assassin whose name no one knew at dawn the following day according to the laws of the land.
    The court physician sandor came in swiftly and told the king about the bracelet found in his son's room. He told him that the bracelet had the banner of house Hearst engraved on it. The king immediately concluded that it was king Gable who was responsible for this attack. Sandor reminded him that he killed his son and it was only logical for him to seek revenge.

    King Egmond also reminded sandor that although he tried to rape and kill his daughter he would have pardoned him if he knew he was royalty in order to prevent a needless war.

    The next day the assassin and his accomplice, reed where brought to a podium in the castle. They were forcefully knelt down and ordered to keep their heads on the two logs provided awaiting the arrival of the masked executioner.

    The executioner came in much to the anticipation of the audience as the first axe fell and the second following shortly after.