Scene 2

(The stage is lit with soft light. DAN is asleep on-top of the covers of a freshly made bed, end facing towards the audience, surrounded by homey furniture and decorations. CEVINN stands at the end of the bed, and CHARLIE is knelt by the side of the bed, holding and assessing DAN's broken arm, which is now in a mechanical, metal wire cast like covering on it. Next to CHARLIE is a short, small table covered with bottles of medical liquids and gears.)

CHARLIE: (With proud emphasis as he stands up and steps back) There. done!

(CEVINN presses a button on the side of her watch)

CEVINN: (impressed) Wow. In record time too. (Small pause) Well, are you going to wake him up then?

CHARLIE: Oh, yeah, right.

(CHARLIE aggressively kicks the side of the bed and DAN springs up, now sitting upright and looking shocked.)

DAN: WHAT THE SHIII— (looking at CHARLIE, suddenly regretful of his choice of his words) —itzu? (Awkwardly, scratching the back of his head with his broken arm) Heh, sorry.

(CHARLIE looks at DAN with confusion. DAN smiles back awkwardly, then looks down at his broken arm.)

DAN: Wha—? D-Did you... What did you do... (Turns his broken arm around to assess it and the mechanical device around it, then bends his arm in every direction with ease.) Gah— This is amazing! H-how did you do that so quickly?! Wait...how long was I asleep for?

CHARLIE: (Boasting) Oh, it's really nothing. You were only asleep for a few—

DAN: (Still amazed) And who are you? You did this?

(CHARLIE nods enthusiastically)

CHARLIE: 'Name's Charlie. (Extends his arm towards DAN for a handshake) It's a pleasure to meet you.

DAN: (Shakes CHARLIE's hand with his broken arm) Tis a pleasure to meet you too, Charlie. I appreciate your amazing medical assistance. (Turns to CEVINN) May I ask you a quick question... Cevinn? It is Cevinn, right?

CEVINN: (Nodding) Mhm.

DAN: (Passive aggressively, as he looks around the at the scenery) So, uh...where the hell am I?

CEVINN: Well, I did promise you I'd take you to a place free of judgement and hatred, and I don't lie. Welcome to a little place we like to call 'The Perfect World'. It's pretty much an inter-dimensional retreat for distressed kids who just need a break from 'The Real World'.

CHARLIE: It's like a spa. But free. And more magical. And literally the size of a planet.

(CEVINN walks over to a prop window to the left side of the stage and opens it. FX2 starts to play. CEVINN stares out of the window, leaning one elbow on the windowsill. DAN gets out of bed and looks at CEVINN)

CEVINN: (Seriously) I'm here because my gender wasn't treated equally, and I eventually gave up with having to put up with men thinking they are the superior race, even though we're all humans. I was told I wasn't allowed to think for myself, because that was a man's job. I wasn't allowed to go to school, and instead I had to learn how to sew and do all the stuff men didn't want to do. I was told I had to get lower pay at my job than men because 'men do it better, and work harder than girls'. And that isn't even the whole story. I was just sick of it. So I saved myself, and came here. I pretty much live here now. It's nice to be treated equally.

CHARLIE: I'm here because everyone said my dreams were unachievable and that I was stupid. I've always wanted to be an inventor or an entrepreneur, but my parents and teachers just told me my ideas were too crazy, and that it'd most likely end up living my life in a stranger's basement. They said I should aim for a job with a high success rate, and that it wasn't worth taking risks. I think they all live boring lives and don't want to feel jealous when I prove them wrong. I come here to invent. I get endless resources for my machines and medicines, and even if they don't work, I still get support to never give up.

CEVINN: (Now looking at DAN) This world, and everyone in it, accepts us outcasts and rejects. And now you've been accepted too. So welcome to the squad, outcast. Welcome to 'The Perfect World'.

DAN: Bu-but, how can that be possible? Inter-dimensional travel? Infinite resources? This is BS—

CEVINN: I can understand why you choose not to believe. It's your choice, but if I were you, I'd just choose to live in the moment. Anyway, here— (CEVINN throws DAN a small cube with a red button on one of the sides) If you ever change your mind, just punch the button and you'll return to 'The Real World'. It's your choice.

CHARLIE: Anyway, I don't mean to interrupt, but Cevinn and I were going to find some more kids, You're welcome to come if you want.

(DAN stares at the button, then up at CEVINN, who is now walking towards the right side of the stage, pulling out a remote like device from a pocket and clicking one of the many buttons on it. A flash of light is produced from the right side of the stage and FX1 is played. CHARLIE walks up to and is standing next to CEVINN.)

CEVINN: (Curiously, looking at DAN) So, you coming?

DAN: (hesitantly) Yeah. I don't see why not.

(CEVINN smiles at DAN, then CEVINN and CHARLIE run off the right side of the stage. As they exit, another bright flash of light is produced and FX1 is played again. DAN stares at the right side of the stage, then runs off stage after the two.)

(Blackout.)

(The stage's props are all removed other than the bed, with messed up sheets hanging half off the side, and the walls. The stage lighting turns back on and is dim to simulate the night. DAN is lying down on the bed, eyes closed, then he suddenly sits up, awake. DAN assess his broken arm, and notices the mechanical cast on his arm has been removed. DAN moves his arm with ease, almost as if it had never been broken. He reaches into his pocket but finds nothing. He looks around his bed for the cube, but still finds nothing. He touches the tears that start to run down his face and looks past the audience.)

DAN: (To himself) I guess there's nothing I can do to escape here. The closest I can get to a perfect world is the one in my head.

(DAN flops back down in his bed. Blackout.)