Patience

Linda sits Eve back upright on the bench, then hugs her.

"I really missed you, but I didn't want to see you yet!"

Eve looks hurt, pouting at Linda, "What do you mean?"

"This means you're dead. Everyone thought I disappeared, but I died too."

"I'm dead?! You're dead?! I never got to open my daddy's present to me!" Eve complains.

Linda stays silent to let things set in a little.

"Look, I... know that it's hard to take in. I know it's a lot to take in, but there's people who teach you things up here. Apparently we're so young, we only get two people."

"What do you mean, we get two people? Are we supposed to get more? And what do you mean by get people?"

"Well, apparently everybody here gets five people. Usually. I was told that I was too young for five, and that I'd only get two."

"But you were nine when you disappeared!" Eve says, "You were older than me!"

"I was nine, yes. However, you're nine too, right? Or... were?"

Eve pauses.

"Yeah, I was nine. B-but, I missed you, Linda."

"Again, I missed you too. Maybe we can play together again before you go," Linda says, hugging Eve. Eve hugs back, but as tight as she can, which makes Linda uncomfortable. She squirms.

"Sorry... I just... why are we at school? I was home!"

"No... you're not at home anymore. And you're not at school, either. I don't think you ever will be again, either..."

Eve says nothing.

"However, while you're here, I'm supposed to tell you things..."

Eve still says nothing.

"...Want to play first?" Linda asks, stepping towards the swings.

Still silent, Eve starts racing her to the swings—with a smile on her face.

-----

After a minute of childish play, Eve and Linda let themselves launch off the swings. Eve goes further.

"Haha, I beat you!"

"Arrgh! I'll beat you next time, though!" Linda retorts, both of them breaking into laughter.

"So, I need to tell you something."

"What?"

"You never enjoyed these moments."

Eve looks at her, confused.

"You only ever looked to the future."

"Isn't that a good thing?"

"Sometimes, but you always wanted to jump to the next thing! Please, come on. Enjoy a few more moments with me..." Linda begs.

Eve hesitates, then nods, "I'm sorry, Linda."

"I forgive you," she says with a gentle smile.

The two embrace as the sunset discolors the playground.