001

"Come on, this would be fun? I'll do it too if you want me to?" Desiree said, holding her phone up.

Desiree is my best friend from Cali. We've been friends since kindergarten. We've been taking turns visiting each other every year since I moved to Australia in middle school. It was her turn to visit me for the summer.

"Online dating is so scary!!" I said, looking for the app she made me download. I always hear horror stories about girls on dating apps. Girls and guys go missing after meeting someone off of a dating app. Maybe it's just me overthinking.

I looked for the app that said 'tinder'.

"Why did I let you talk me into this?" I said as I started to sign up.

Thirty minutes into Desiree and I getting  ready for our night out. My phone started to buzz. I had 20 likes already. I sifted through them. Some were cute, some looked pervy, and others didn't have any pictures, just looking to hook up.

After swiping right on a few of the guys, I went back to getting ready.

"What if you match with someone in the club tonight?" Desiree only said that to make me nervous. She knew I was an overthinker.

"Shut up, I'm already nervous to go out!" Why would she do that.

I finished getting ready, and now i'm just waiting for Desiree.

I flipped through Tinder. A lot of these guys want to hook up.

I keep swiping until a familiar face catches my attention.

"No way." I didn't realize I said that out loud. "What?" Desiree stopper doing her makeup and looked my way.

No, it couldn't be... Could it?

He still looks the same, just with a bunch of tattoos.

"Girl, that guy is fuego!"

"Wait... is that who I think it is." She swipped through his pictures.

"It can't be? Right." I said, looking up at her. Desiree was sitting on the arm rest.

Christian was my neighbor fifteen years ago. We use to hang out even though he was seven years older than me. Not only were we neighbors but our moms were best friends. When I heard Chris was leaving I wrote him a letter confessing I was madly inlove with him and i would never forget him. Mind you I was twelve and he was nineteen. I wrote that letter thinking he would read it at the airport and realize he felt the same way. I was very delusional back then. I kinda still am.

"Either way, you should swipe right. He doesn't look like a totally douchbag." She walked away and continued to finish up her makeup.

I shrugged and swipped right.

While we were on our way to our favorite club/restaurant, my phone buzzed again.

It was a message from Chris.

"Hey! I'm visiting from Korea."
"We should hang out and get to know each other."

"Let me know when you're free. :)"

I handed my phone over to Desiree to show her he had messaged me.

Her jaw dropped. "He really doesn't remember you?" She had this look of shock and kinda disappointed at the same time.

"I guess it's okay." In a way I felt relieved. I was a cringy twelve year old pre-teen in love with a then nineteen year old guy!