Chapter 1: The Dead Are Alive

Admiral Thrawn was standing on the bridge of his Star Destroyer viewing a holomap.  Now, it wasn't just any map.  It was an unfinished map.  Some of the destinations were left uncharted.  The map showed a barren landscape, nothing but a few staggered pillars.  But why on Onderon would there be pillars on a desolate planet?  One could only guess that there were previous inhabitants. 

But who would be able to survive on a wasteland planet?  A practical backwater world?  Not to mention the surface: according to the completed parts of the map, the surface could easily give way to the weight of lifeforms.

But then how did the pillars stand upright?  So many questions yet so few answers.  Unfortunately, the answers he did have only led to twice as many questions.  If he was to win Tarkin's favor he must have more successful triumphs.

"Admiral?" a voice behind him spoke in an almost questioning tone.

"Agent Kallus," Thrawn replied.  He turned to face Kallus, hands folded behind his back.  Kallus stood straighter as the Admiral faced him, his arms at his sides.  The Agent's posture nearly resembled a stiff durasteel pole. 

Admiral Thrawn's eyes stared intently at Agent Kallus's face, looking for a weak point.  Finding none, he finished his reply: "I've called you here for an analysis."  He watched as the agent's face turned from one of hard features to softer, more curious features. 

Kallus lifted an eyebrow.  "Of what, exactly, Admiral?" he inquired in his usual pompous and monotonous tone.

"Of this," Thrawn replied, stepping aside and gesturing to the holomap. 

"Malachor," Kallus observed in a questioning tone.

"So it is," answered Thrawn.  "So it is."

Kallus directed a questioning gaze toward Thrawn.  "What would the Empire have to do with Malachor?" he inquired.

Thrawn paused a moment, his head bowed but his eyes glaring at the map.  "Perhaps a certain rebel - former Jedi - who is supposedly dead at the hands of Lord Vader."

"Well," Kallus started, "If he is dead I don't understand why we would be worrying about him."

"Two explanations Agent; one: it is a she, and two: she was supposed to be dead, however that does not necessarily mean she is.  In fact, the Emperor has detected a... disturbance per-say.  How, I am not allowed to reveal.  However, I do serve my Emperor faithfully, and he has enlisted my help in this matter," Thrawn explained.

Kallus shook his head, rather confused by what Thrawn was - or wasn't - telling him.  "Why are you sharing this with me?" he inquired.

Thrawn looked the Agent in the eye.  "The Emperor also ordered me to enlist the help of any worthy and trusted Imperial officers.  You being one of them - if not the only one - I was able to find.  I need your feedback on who, perhaps, could be trusted enough to deal with Jedi - or should I say former Jedi - matters.  It is highly confidential.  You may or may not receive a promotion.  It is also risky, so back out now if you dare go no further."

The Admiral knew Kallus wouldn't back down.  He just wanted to let him know who was in charge, even though he technically ranked higher than Kallus at the moment.  If he succeeded in his mission to capture the Force-sensitive he would win Tarkin's favor.

"No disrespect Admiral, but I am quite aware of the risk.  I accept the offer.  As for other trusted Imperial officers, I would recommend the lesser known Admiral Rae Sloane.  She is quite the... character."  Kallus answered, responding to Thrawn.

"Ah, yes indeed," Thrawn thought aloud.  "I believe I have as well heard of her.  What else do you know about her?"  He was interested in what the ISB had to say.

"She truly would be helpful with this operation, seeing as she has dealt with Jedi before - I believe sometime during the Clone Wars."  Kallus answered thoughtfully.  Then, as if lost in thought inquired, "Who is this Jedi - I mean former Jedi - you speak of?"

Thrawn raised his chin higher, staring blankly past the map.  "Tano," he growled menacingly.  "Ahsoka Tano."