Prologue -Melancholy-

-Songs fit with chapters-

Shouts of horror and sadness were surrounding her. She had never seen so much fear, let alone felt it. The sky was dark and the once happy at ease faces of the citizens of Battery City, were dark, as well.

"RAY!?" She screamed, hoping for the comforting voice of her own brother.

"ELL!" She heard in response. Ell began to run. All she wanted was to be with her brother. She looked down every nook and cranny, down streets and alleys, all in vain.

"ELLISABETH ROSA TORO!" She heard her mother yell.

"MOM!" Ell ran to her in tears. "Mama, what's going on?!" She asked once in her mother's embrace.

Her mother had a look of insane worry; "Remember those men called the Dracs, that your brother met?" Ell nodded, "They're taking over! Ell, they want to make us all the same! No more diversity, no more laughter, no more life. Nobody will ever really live again. You have to hold onto your memories, good and bad. Don't let them get into your head!"

Ell stood shocked, "Why are you telling me this?" Her genuine confusion wrestled with all logic.

"They're gonna give us pills to stay in line. I'm old, I don't have much of my life left, but you do! Don't take them, I will however. No matter what I say, don't take them. Got it?" Ell let it sink in for a moment then finally nodded.

"Te amo, mi hermosa hija. Don't let them hurt you," her mother looked at her with tear-filled eyes, "The worst pain in this world is loss. Whether it be life or a fight,it hurts. Even though I'd never feel it, I can bear the thought of you not having emotion."

Ell sobbed now, until she felt the startling touch of a hug from behind. She turned around to see her brother holding her tightly.

"Ray, I told you to run with them! You can't stay!" Her mother seemingly shouted, however only in a whisper.

"I had to see her one last time. Ell, I love you, don't forget who you are." He had the most melancholy smile she had ever seen.

More tears welled up in her eyes, "Where are you going, Ray?"

"I'm going with the Killjoys. We're going to stop them. We're going to bring freedom."

She had a semi-hopeful expression, "I wanna come to! You know I can handle a gun! I could be helpful!"

"NO!" Her mother shouted. "You are too young! You're only fourteen! Ray, tell her! Please!"

Ray sighed. "She's right. I know we'll meet again, stay alive." He got up, hugged his mother and sister once more and ran.

Just then two Dracs restrained Ell and her mother.

The next year was a haze. Ell and Ray's mother died and, to her mother's dismay, Ell escaped the walls of Battery City. She stole an old Harley and rode away from the painful place she once called home.

Within a month she met a man they called Dr. Death Defying. He took her in and treated her as his own child. He would even occasionally send her on missions, however she was on her own internal mission; save everyone. She didn't want to be a savior or a hero. Just a vigilante, like the rest of the Killjoys, if they were still out there.