Chapter One: The Job Fair and Old Friends

When I was a teenager, if you had asked me where I saw myself in ten years, sitting in for the very same teachers that I used to fall asleep too isn't what I would've said. But alas, I found myself back home in Scranton Pennsylvania, with the only job I could find that would take me. 

Don't get me wrong, high school teachers are saints. But, I'm not a real teacher. I just give a bunch of entitled brats the busy work that was left behind and try not to punch one of them. And get paid for it. 

However, today, was a good day to be the sub for Mrs. Lawrence's English Class, because today during seventh period, all I had to do was attend a job fair. 

The message rang out over the intercom and the students rushed out of the room as quickly as they could. I didn't blame them, quite honestly. I grabbed my purse following them out and into the gym, where hundreds of stands had been set up. I walked down the center isle, noticing a guy with a camera filming a specific table. I furrowed my eyebrows, looking at the table name: Dunder Mifflin. I saw a black guy, a Mexican guy, a girl with red hair, and a white guy at the table, the girl holding up a white sheet of paper between them. As the girl turned around, I realized I knew her.

It was my high school best friend, Pamela Beasley. I rushed over to her, catching the end of a conversation.

"Yes, we will see Oscar, we will see because a blank sheet of paper equals endless possibilities. Conceptual."

"Very insightful." I stated. He turned around.

"Hello there." The white guy said.

"Oh my gosh, Natalie?" Pam asked, standing up. I nodded as she walked around the table and hugged me.

"Hi!"

"Who is this?" The guy asked again.

"This is Natalie Meyers, my best frined from high school. Natalie, this is Darryl, Oscar, and my boss Michael."

"Michael Scott, Dunder Mifflin." He stuck his hand out and I shook it.

"So oyu knew, our Pammy when she was in high school? Sitting around, gossiping about boys, and having your first periods together." I rasied my eyebrows, shocked at the words coming out of this man's mouth.

"I...excuse me?" I asked. Pam cringed, apologizing with her eyes. He laughed.

"Relax. I'm kidding! So, are you interested in an internship at Dunder Mifflin?" 

"Oh, I'm just a substitute teacher." I explained, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Oh, is that what you do now?" Pam asked. I nodded.

"What about you? What do you do at Dunder Mifflin?"

"I'm a receptionist." She said, almost shamefully.

"That is a noble profession. The world can't function without people trained in how things run." She smiled, nodding. 

"Well, we should go catch up-"

"No, Pam, Pam. We need you here, we need you for the eye candy Pam." Michael told her. I looked at her questionably.

"We'll talk later." I assured her, "Maybe we can meet for dinner?"

"Yeah! I can introduce you to my boyfriend."

"Great! Sounds like a plan. I'll let you get back to it then." She nodded, hugging me one last time. 

"Oh, here, take a brochure, just in case."  Michael shoved one into my hand, and I nodded, walking along. Just out of curiosity, I opened it. Paper company. Hm.