Chapter 10. - We're different

What screws us up most in life is the picture in our head of how it's supposed to be.

----------

THE NEXT DAY I wore a black dress with a see-through veil with lace ends covering my legs. I wore a pair of black, high-heeled boots and a leather jacket of which I pulled the sleeves up to my elbows. I had decided not to join Evie in her chemistry class this time since they had to take a test. I went outside instead and sat at a picnic table, listening to music and staring at homework that I was probably never going to understand or finish. 

Someone suddenly came and sat in front of me and I looked up seeing Doug with an excited expression. I pulled out my earbuds and looked at Doug, who was practically bouncing in his seat. I raised an eyebrow.

"Okay, spill it," I said with an eye roll.

"I took your advice!" He said with a big smile. I just looked at him annoyed and moved my finger in circles to signal him to continue. "As you said, Chad screwed up and snitched to Mr Delay that Evie uses her mirror to cheat, which she doesn't have to because she's really smart and beautiful, an-" I snapped my fingers in his face to keep him on topic. "Oh, right. So, I stood up for her and made sure she didn't get expelled and I showed her that I'm there for her. Like you told me to." He finished in one breath.

"Happy to get that off your chest?" I chuckled with a raised eyebrow.

"God, yes! But I wanted to tell you first since you gave me the advice and encouraged me and you were being nice to me." He smirked at his last comment. I groaned and threw my head back.

"You're never going to drop that, are you?" I asked though I knew the answer very well.

"Nope." He said, popping the 'p'. I saw Evie come up behind him, she had her finger on her lips, telling me to stay quiet. I looked back at Doug.

"I. Am. Not. Nice." I told him with narrowed eyes.

"You are." He shrugged, just before Evie held a piece of paper in front of his face.

"For the first time, it's, like, I'm more than just a pretty face," Evie told him, keeping her arms around him longer than needed. Not that I'm complaining. I put my earbuds in again. There wasn't any music in them, but it gave them the idea that I wasn't listening.

"A shocker, huh?" Doug teased a little. Evie took a seat beside him.

"You were pretty great in there." Evie complemented.

"So were you," Doug assured with a smile. Evie's smile got a little brighter. I smiled to myself.

"I bet I can get an A on the next test without the mirror." She said, leaning in a little more. I saw Mal come up behind them with her hands on her hips. Uh oh.

"We can get together and hang out-" Doug started, but Evie interrupted.

"Yeah, let's get together." She breathed out and I had to do a double-take on what she meant by that exactly. But Mal then reached us and had to interrupt.

"There you two are! I have been looking for you two, literally, everywhere." Mal said, looking frustrated. I pulled my earbuds out.

"Apparently not, I've been here the whole time." I sassed. Mal glared at me and was about to make a comeback, but Evie spoke up quickly.

"What's wrong?" Evie asked and Mal slapped her hands on the table.

"Ben just asked me out on..." She looked around a little. "a date," She said exasperated. I had to hold back a laugh at how panicked she looked. Evie and Doug shared a smile.