Chapter 30

Just as he finished the cup of coffee from the store where he had stopped to purchase backpacking gear he would need to go after Gary, Simon pulled the Taurus into a ranger station at the Olympic National Park, and backed the rental car into the parking space closest to the visitor's entrance. The lot was mostly empty. Other than the vehicles belonging to the Park Service, there was only one other car in the lot.

When he completed surveying his surroundings, Simon got out of the car, and walked into the  station. Putting a frantic look on his face, he rushed up to the man at the service desk, brushing past the elderly couple poring over the map of the park. "I have to find one of your campers. There's been an emergency at home, and he has to get back before it's too late! Can you help me locate him?"

The calm demeanor of the man's young, clean-cut features was now replaced by a look of panic. He was dressed in a uniform of the U.S. Park Service, and it looked to be brand new. Even the name badge looked to be new. The letters spelling out the name "Greene" were still very crisp and a brilliant white. It was clear that his only experience as a Park Ranger had to do with keeping the visitor's center presentable, and answering the same questions over and over again with the same canned responses. He had never dealt with a missing camper situation before. "I'll have to call in my supervisor. She'll know what to do. She's located lost campers and hikers before."

Simon regretted choosing this scenario for extracting Gary's whereabouts, but he was committed now. "He's not lost, so we shouldn't need her expertise. I just need to get to his camp site. Can you check to see if he filed some kind of itinerary or something? That might tell us where he went." Simon used his most calming voice in an attempt to avoid involving more people.

"Yes, yes, of course. I'll check for his Wilderness Camping Permit. What's his name?"

"Gary Ecks, E-C-K-S."

"Let's see.... Ecks. Ecks. Here it is." Ranger Greene pulled out a map, unfolded it, and drew a circle on it. "We're here. Go out this side door," he glanced up at Simon, gestured at the door behind him with his thumb, and then started tracing a line on the map. "The trailhead is about a quarter mile down the path right outside. If you follow the plan Mr. Ecks filed, you're going to hike up the North Fork of the Skokomish River for a few miles until you get to the Nine Streams Campsite where you'll spend the night. The next day, you'll continue here to Diamond Meadows," he said as he slid his finger along a route on the map.

Ranger Greene referred back to his screen to double-check on the details from Gary's Wilderness Camping Permit. "Assuming he's stuck to his itinerary, he's pretty far in there. There are three possible sites where he might be, all in this area." He drew a second circle on the map. "It's going to take you three days to get to him, maybe two if you're a fast hiker, and you're lucky finding him."

"Wait, can't someone drive me up there?"

"No sir. Even if we weren't short handed from the budget cuts, and even if vehicles were allowed on trails, there just aren't any vehicles that can get to where he is.

"What about a helicopter?"

"He's not due to come out for many more days. Until he's overdue, we can't treat him as a lost hiker, and we can't call in those resources."

"But there's an emergency!"

"I'm sorry sir, but our rules are very clear. I can call in my supervisor, if you'd like...."

"No, that won't be necessary. Thank you." Simon grabbed the map, cursed under his breath, and headed back to the car to grab his gear. He had prepared for this eventuality, but he had also really hoped that he would be able to get a ride. He did not relish trekking three days through the mountains to find Gary.

Quickly changing out of the clothes he had been wearing since leaving his D.C. office and into new jeans, two layers of new shirts, and new hiking boots, he slung on and adjusted the frame pack that he had just purchased.

Getting into stride as he proceeded down the path that Ranger Greene had indicated, Simon set a determined pace once he reached the trailhead. Off we go. You had better not piss me off when I finally get to you, Gary.