HAPPINESS

I was still engrossed in reading an old copy on the natural language, when that feeling startled me. I knew the danger was close, there was no need for my body hair to warn me of it by being on guard. Every fiber of my body was alert, my eyes had changed color to a whiter shade within the natural violaceus of my pupils. My sharp fingernails appeared on the scene, nailing into the volume in my hands with a soft creak.

With the natural sigil characteristic of my race, I got up and set out to find out who the intruder was, smelling the air, listening to the apparent silence and approaching the foyer, dodging furniture without emitting a single sound that betrayed me. I didn't notice any smell, so I deduced that either that person avoided going downwind or was pretty good at hiding it. My eyes allowed me to have a more luminous vision of the room, being able to see even the smallest detail even when I was in darkness. I sharpened my ear and perceived that something or someone was sneaking up to the front door. Whoever it was had made a bad choice... Truly bad.

I stood under the main beam that lined up with the centre of the door and jumped upside down, clutching at the door. A little more. I said mentally as I watched the knob turn slowly. At that instant I fell into the detail. Something was wrong! So stealthy to get close to the house and now he just opened the door? I tied up the strings to find out who it could be and I was about to laugh - there's only one fool capable of doing such a stupid deed! A frontal attack? I thought as my face relaxed, giving way to an open smile.

I knew the body dimensions of the attacker and the task did not come easily. I had to calculate the exact distance and height if I wanted to make my first effective attack.

The door kept opening at a steady pace. When I thought it was the right time, I opened the door at a stroke and as quickly as I could, I let go of my hands and swayed like a pendulum in the direction of the threshold, lying face down. It was as fast as I expected, I grabbed my victim in the calves and in the inertia of the climb I pulled him with all my strength. The immense body turned in the air, entering several meters into the interior of the room. The violent blow on the wooden floor left him dazed for a few seconds. I jumped on him, he was upside down, grabbed him by the hair to throw his head aside and I left my fangs just a few millimeters from his pale skin.

—Okay, okay, you win, I give up! —shouted my friend as he struggled to break free.

—Karel, next time at least try to get in through a window! —I laughed out loud as I joined him trying to help my friend get up at the same time.

—Jaroh, I don't know how you do it, but that skill of yours makes me desperate! — he said frustrated.

I don't know how to describe what was before me. Although I had seen it millions of times, I could not help but be amazed at Karel's enormous body, I could hardly believe that this body could enter through the door without being trapped in the doorway. His eyes of a green grass were incapable of showing anything other than goodness, which brought madness to the girls of our people who fought to conquer him, although he did not know very well how to use that to his advantage. A good man in every way.

—Man, what a blow! —he said massaging his jaw—As for getting in through the window, I've already tried more or less. — he paled remembering something.

I had known that vampeire for so long, that the way he finished the sentence made him automatically look through the seemingly intact windows. But my instinct was screaming that something was wrong with that evening confession.

Without looking away from Karel, I went to the remaining rooms, starting with the closest room of my parents. I opened the door and inspected every corner. Karel nervously followed me a short distance away. Nothing.