Chapter 6

Down in the sitting area of the inn, Geralt and Nix were sitting  to a meal of bread and dried meat. It wasn't the best of meals, but it was something.

"So, Geralt, how old are you? I've heard that witchers can live to be incredibly old. Is that true?" Nix had pushed the remainder of his food forward.

"I suppose that's true. Most witchers I know are over a hundred years old. Hell, I'm 98. We happen to age slower then regular humans." Geralt ate what was left on the others plate.

"I see. I'm only 24 so far. I'm not sure how old I'll get to be. Probably not as long as an elf, but longer then a human I suppose." The half breed said while looking down at the table.

"Hm. You're practically a kid compared to me. How amusing." A smirk twitched onto Geralt's lips.

"Yeah? So what?" Nix huffed.

"That makes me wonder how much experience you have." Geralt did nothing to hide the amusement on his face.

"Well I certainly don't know how to fight like you do. I also don't have survival experience like you do." The green and silver eyed male said.

"I'm not talking about that. I'm talking  about something else." Geralt watched Nix for his reaction.

"W-what....? Wait wh-oh..... OH..... EW!! GERALT! THATS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!" Nix shouted and his face turned a very startling red. Geralt sat there snickering and covering his face, trying his best to contain his laughter.

"Geralt, that's not funny. That was immature. And here I thought you were the older, more respectable one." The red faced male sighed.

"Just because I'm older, doesn't mean I'm more mature. Well, at least not all of the time. Most of the time I am." Geralt grinned and crossed his arms over his chest.

"You're a dork. I thought you were an expressionless man who had a little bit of a soft spot in his otherwise steel heart. But here I find out that you in fact are not so expressionless when it comes to things of an inappropriate nature." The snow haired male scoffed.

"My sense of humor isn't the greatest, I know. You'll get used to it." Geralt returned to his expressionless self.

"Well that's great. Just don't make any puns or very bad jokes. Please." The half breed pleaded with him.

"I make no promises." Geralt chuckled and got up to head to the bar to get himself an ale. The witcher could hear the distinct thunk of someone slammed their hands against a table. Looking over his shoulder, he sees that the source of it was a man had approached Nix, seeming to demand something from him.

Nix seemed to be shaking with fear as another rough looking man, no doubt a thug looking to shake down the half breed for money, walked up to join the other guy. Geralt stormed over and firmly gripped the first thug's shoulder, pulling him away before pulling Nix up and holding him close.

"I suggest that you leave him alone." Geralt growled out and stared the two thugs down before they walked off. Nix clung onto the back of Geralt's chest plate, hooking his fingers into any gaps that he could, and refused to let go.

"Nix, you're going to cut yourself on the edges of those gaps. Plus you can't cling to me forever." The witcher rested a hand on the smaller male's head.

"You underestimate my abilities. It's obvious that if you're around, I'm safe. So I'll just simply not leave your side." Nix managed to tighten his grip even more then he already had.

Geralt sighed in defeat and ended up having to pick him up in order to go anywhere. He brought the frightened hereto chromatic upstairs to their shared room and managed to pry him off.

Geralt quickly removed his chest piece and gauntlets off before Nix could reattach to him and accidentally cut himself on the witcher's armor.

Nix sat on the bed, huddling in on himself before Geralt wrapped his arms around him and started to work on the ongoing task that was to successfully untangle Nix's hair. If this kept up, Geralt might have to take him in to get a hair cut.

"What am I to do with you. You're quite the scaredy cat that needs to be constantly protected. It's a good thing that you have caught the attention of a white wolf who happens to be very protective over what's his." Geralt pulled the smaller male closer to him, causing said person to look up at him.

"What do you mean? I don't belong to you." Nix mumbled.

"I don't mean it in the way that you think I do. I mean it in the way that I want to protect you and keep you close. It's obvious you mean something to me. I'm not sure what, but you do. You're causing me to behave and think in ways that I shouldn't. Ways that I have been trained not to." Geralt admitted and looked away from the person in his lap.

"What do you mean? Trained?" Nix watched Geralt with curiosity.

"Witchers are trained to not let themselves feel or express certain emotions, or allow one's self to get too attached to someone. Or even to take sides." Geralt made eye contact with Nix, finding that his eyes are still as captivating as they were before.

"That sounds difficult." The pale male reached a hand up and traced the scars on the witcher's face.

Geralt shut his eyes and hummed as a response. He enjoyed the foreign touch of Nix's soft, uncalloused hands.  Geralt could get used to this. To be able to stop and actually relax and breath. To enjoy the moment for once. To be able to live in the present, and not have to worry about the 2 steps ahead that he always had to be. Sometimes he'd even have to be 4 steps head of those 2 steps.

He wasn't quite sure what Nix was to him yet, but all he cared about was that Nix was there, safe and sound.