Chapter 4 - Hymn

"S-She was?" Kakyoin gasped.

"Yeah. It was long before I was born, back when she was about my age. She refuses to tell me all the details, but I know more than she thinks I do." Jotaro darkly spat. "The scar, the way she carries herself, her fear to leave the deep sea, even her hushed conversations with my grandfather... I notice the little things, things anyone else wouldn't give two shits about."

Kakyoin rubbed his arm awkwardly. He didn't know what to say, and even if he did, something was giving the impression that this wasn't a matter he should speak on. The truth was, he had heard this story before, but from another viewpoint entirely. It was two years or so ago, when he had first moved to the small seaside town. He had been pressured into going to the local pub in order to 'make friends'. Kakyoin continually lied about having friends coming to meet him soon, and quietly sketched away, refusing all the drinks offered to him profusely. A drunken sailor had strolled in later that evening, and promptly sat himself in front of Kakyoin, not even giving him a simple hello. Of course, Kakyoin could care less, that is, until the man spoke to him.

"Have you ever laid yer eyes on a siren, lad?" he asked, his speech slurred and disorienting. "Because I 'ave."

He went on to explain that many years ago, a siren had been calling him for months and months on end, and how he feigned friendship with her long enough to gain her trust, only to end up 'killing' her.

"How naive she was, that lass." he mocked. "Even when it was the end of the line fer her, she begged and pleaded for me to save 'er."

He gave a great, bellowing laugh, slapping the table with a large callused hand. Kakyoin awkwardly laughed along side him, praying that he would leave sooner rather than later, as the stench of alcohol, seawater, and fish that lingered around the sailor was making him sick to his stomach. However, the man leaned in closer, baring crooked yellow teeth in a unbecoming grin.

"She was a right pretty one, too. A shame I had to get rid of her. But you didn't 'ear that from me, lad."

"I'm sure she was, sir." Kakyoin said with a weak smile.

The man leaned back contentedly back in his chair, and soon enough, he was awash in a drunken doze, his snores loud and rumbling. Kakyoin took this as an opportunity to escape, and practically sprinted back to his place of residence. He hadn't really paid much attention to the sailor's story at the time, but thinking back on it now, there were still many missing pieces and contradictory statements.

"I'm awfully sorry about this, Jotaro."Is..."

"There anything you can do to help? Not particularly." he replied shortly.

"Oh, I didn't—"

"No, don't worry about it. It's just... She almost died that night..." Jotaro gushed. "If... If she would have died..."

His shoulders began to quiver and shake, and Kakyoin saw several pearly white droplets splatter onto his perch. It was at this moment that Kakyoin refused to let himself sit idly by any longer. He peeled off his shoes and socks, and stepped onto one of the slick rocks, holding out his arms to keep himself balanced. He began to hop from rock to rock, warily looking into the glassy black surface of the ocean. Reaching the rock where Jotaro sat, he clambered onto it, using most of his upper body strength to push himself up to the flat part. He then threw his arms around the siren tightly, pressing his face into his slightly dampened skin. Jotaro's body tensed up slightly at first, but eventually relaxed and melted into the painter's touch.

"I know this doesn't really help you much," said Kakyoin, shooting a downcast look in the water's general direction. "But... You deserve so much better. You may not realize, or even want to realize, but you're kinder than you lead a person to believe. I consider myself lucky to have you as a friend."

But something deep inside Kakyoin wanted more. It longed for Jotaro's touch, his attention, his affection. Having a friend was nice, but his secluded lifestyle had made him unbearably lonely. Though, it wasn't like he'd ever admit to his feelings.

"Kakyoin, I lo– " Jotaro cut himself off. "I... appreciate you more than words can express. The truth is, the only reason why I've been sticking around here is for revenge against the bastard that almost killed my mother. It was never about attracting anyone to their doom, or whatever sirens usually do. But you came in his stead, and you showed me that humans aren't all inherently bad. While I do still resent him, I don't need revenge like I thought I did. Thank you."

"I think you'll be pleased to know that he died at the end last year, then."

"He did, huh? Odd. I don't really feel... Anything. I'm not joyous, but I'm not up in arms about it either. I just feel... Empty."

"I don't blame you. Harboring such a vendetta in your heart must have been tiring, no?"

"Not really. But I'm not worried about him anymore. Mostly about my mother, and how worried she must be. God, I'm an awful son, putting her through so much..."

Jotaro sighed and finally turned to face Kakyoin. Unsurprisingly, he was an emotional wreck. Kakyoin learned that the pearlescent drops he saw earlier weren't tears reflecting the light of the moon, rather, they were drips of moonlight themselves, glowing and shimmering. Jotaro's eyes were still filled with them, and a few of them spilled onto his cheeks. Kakyoin cupped the siren's face in his hands, wiping away his tears with a thumb.

"Don't cry, alright?" he soothed. "There's nothing to cry about. You're not an awful son, and your mother would be proud to know that you're doing all this for her."

The siren quietly removed one of Kakyoin's hands and ruffled his hair.

"You're really sweet, you know that?" he said tenderly.

In one swift motion, he planted a fleeting kiss on Kakyoin's forehead and dove into the water. He didn't even have enough time to react properly, being shocked into a stunned silence. Kakyoin sat on that rock for a lot longer than he probably should have, and eventually made his way back to the main pier, gathered his stuff, and went home in an unfamiliar ecstasy.