Chapter Two

Chapter Two                                

Our new home is small for four guys. It’s one of those houses you see in those girly movies. You know the ones I’m talking about with the white picket fence with a gate, the white house, the porch out front. And of course it’s in a nice neighbourhood where the houses aren’t too close together that you feel crowded, but far away enough that you have your privacy. Then again, it could also be a residence from a horror movie. Funny how they fall into the same category.

                It takes a few weeks, but we eventually are able to unpack all the things we brought and buy some pieces of furniture. Slowly this little house is becoming a home. There are only two bedrooms. We decided that since they are brothers, Sigge and Jan should share the larger room. Jan complained, but the three of us didn’t give him any attention and he soon shut up when we brought up the fact that he barely contributed to the payment of the house. Angus took the other one. For now, I’m sleeping on an old couch in what is to be our living room until we clean up the garage. Most of our time is spent in there, slowly putting in flooring and then moving on to painting the walls a fresh coat of white.

                “You couldn’t have chosen something more, I dunno, interesting? Or exciting?” Lynn comments as she picks up a paint roller to help.

                “Felix is a pretty boring guy,” Angus says with a laugh.

                “Hey! That’s not true!” I protest.

                “You’re right. I’m sorry. He just lacks personality.”

                I chuckle and fix the area he painted before he became distracted by his fingers which he proceeded to run the brush over.

                Angus has been my best friend since my grandmother finally allowed me to go to a school instead of learning at home. I was ten and had no idea what to do, where to go, how to act. I’d never been around people my own age, or many people at all really. Kids seem to be able to sniff out people who are different and have the uncanny ability to pinpoint their exact weaknesses and ridicule them for it. That’s exactly what happened to me. My classmates taunted every little aspect of me, my looks, my clothes, how I talked, but Angus wasn’t like them. He just asked me if I was new and when I told him I was, he assigned himself as my tour guide. We instantly became best friends. We liked the same stuff, weird video games, music, art, stuff that our classmates didn’t. We meet Jan a few years later when we were twelve, and through him we became friends with his brother. There is an age gap of a year between Sigge and Jan. The difference in their personalities though is much more extreme. Jan is loud, suggestive, and, I’ll be the first to admit, he can be pretty obnoxious. Sigge on the other hand is quiet, barely ever talking unless spoken to first. And Angus is just Angus.

                “White is a nice colour,” I defend.

                “Shade,” Sig quietly corrects from the other side of the room where he’s taking and writing down measurements for the baseboards.

                “Is it gang up on Felix day?” I say.

                “That’s every day, my friend,” Angus answers, clapping me on the back with the hand he’s been painting.

                “Thanks,” I reply sarcastically.

                “How about you go for a walk? Lynn and I can take care of the painting. By the time you come back, it will be done, yeah?” Ang suggests.