Wattpad Original

q&a

You know, I don't usually do this sort of thing. It's also awfully strange to be capitalizing my sentences when this isn't even a formal chapter, or anything, but hey. It makes me sound like the adult I am (I'm . . . twenty-one. I know. It scares me too). So, uh, here are the answers to your questions? I guess? Sponsored by the coffee I'm drinking.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

GENERAL QUESTIONS

HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THIS STORY AND WHAT WAS YOUR INSPIRATION?

          There was a wonderful day in July where I had the strangest dream. You know, like how Stephenie Meyer came up with Twilight back in the good old days. The big difference is that her dream was about the meadow scene itself and my dream was about me, sitting in front of my computer, writing a certain scene. It was a HP fanfiction. For the record: I don't support JKR or her endeavors, much less her views (trans rights are human rights).

          I don't write fanfiction (if you want to read HP fanfiction, check out Noelle hepburnettes and Simone's simonexsays accounts). I also don't ship the characters involved in that dream. When I woke up, I liked what I remembered about the plot; a canon couple had split up, like, four years after the war and half of it found another character at a muggle bar (I know, so original. Not) and they just made small-talk, but the way they spoke to each other seemed to point towards a previous connection. Long story short, Mime ended up being COMPLETELY different from that dream.

          Anyway. I had been meaning to write about characters who are older than me for a while (Finn from Triangle, for example, is a year older than me, being the youngest-oldest character I have, if it makes sense; however, she was born in December and I was born in June of the following year, so there are only six months between our birthdays. Since I don't have time to write that book . . . yeah) and I also wanted to try writing Chick Lit. So I took the plot from the dream and changed it all, but the thing about old flames remained.

         I like writing about writers. Really. There's Elliot (from avery./Until the Day), Lincoln and Rowan (from Counterfactual), but they're all different. Michaela was never meant to be a mean girl, especially not as an adult (she's 27 by the end of this book), but I wanted her to keep some of those traits from high school because, like she said, she had to grow up basically on her own. She didn't really have people to point her towards the right thing to do or the right way to act and, though people should be independent, she was . . . a little bit too much. I like writing about flawed characters. Michaela and Lincoln were flawed from start to finish and their relationship has never been perfect. Ever.

DO YOU HAVE ANY WRITING TIPS?

          You'd be surprised. I don't.

          I don't because, while there are some universal tips (i.e. READ A LOT, write small excerpts every now and then, make sure you have good grammar blah blah), the way I write might not be the same as other people do it. I just sit down and force myself to do it, which is something you definitely should not do.

          Still: WRITE ABOUT DIVERSE CHARACTERS. Write about diverse characters, not to fit a quota or check off diversity points from some list, but because the world is beautifully diverse; books have certainly gotten better in that aspects, where not every single character is white, cisgender and/or straight. Not all of them are super rich. Not all of them are healthy. And it's okay. Write about PoC. Write about LGBT+ characters. But do your research.