The Addiction

Everyone in this world is addicted to one thing or another. Most of the people are addicted to drugs, alcohol, smoking, coffee even; but not me.

I'm not saying that I don't drink or smoke, its just that I'm not addicted to those things. Then what am I addicted to, you might ask? Well, I am addicted to something far more different... Pain.
Yes, I'm addicted to pain, not feeling the pain but inflicting it.
I m addicted to inflicting the pain to others.

The rush I get when I hurt someone, hearing them scream out in terror, writhing in pain, crying and begging for mercy... it's just a feeling that I cannot fathom to express in words.

The best description I can give to my impulses is that it's a feeling similar to being high on acid or cocaine, seeing the world in my own perspective, and being able to change it in accordance with my perspective.

By now you must think that I am a typical psychopath, or maybe a sociopath, that one might find in the vast literature of our world, but I beg to differ.

You see, before I can explain to you my role in this story let me tell you who I am.
My name is... well, people have known me by a lot of names but if there's one I'd like to stick to it'd be rohitashua.

My name is rohitashua and this is my story.

Before I begin tell you this story, I'd like you to know a thing or two about me.
I am a lawyer.
A criminal lawyer to be precise.

I own one of the biggest law firms in the city of New York.
As my name suggests i am an Indian by birth but after completing my higher studies I moved to New York.
Its not like I don't like my country it's just that I like it better here.

Now back to the story.
I'm a criminal lawyer, I protect the worst of people from the fruits of their sins.

But I do have the craving to hurt someone, and being around these criminals, helping them get away with their crime has sort of provided me with a special skillset, the most important one known to man, Knowledge. The knowledge of what(or better yet, who) is good or evil; the Achilles heel of quite some nasty people;
And I also happen to know the working of the most ruthless, powerful criminal minds that exist; and honestly, why wouldn't I know.

Afterall most of them are still walking free because of me. They owe their freedom to me.

But you see i never liked this.
I don't like criminals going free but its just to make my firm money.

The wealth, and the fame, are quite secondary to me in this line of work. Helping these scum get away with their sins puts me in quite a firm position. I get Intel from them whenever I need. I know who's gonna do what when they're gonna do it. I can contemplate their actions before they even commit them.

Being able to know what's going to happen before it even happens, the ability to manipulate a person and their future, is a great power and I have gained this sort of control over quite a long period of time.

So the question is do I hurt people?
Am I a criminal or a lawyer? or both?

Well the answer to that question is very simple. I am the lawyer who is about to take over the largest organised crime syndicate in New York City.

Because at the end the thing that really matters to me,
my biggest addiction is power.

The absolute power to have control over everything and everyone.