1. Holden

1. Holden

       I never understood why kids were always so tired during the day, and hyper when they had to get ready to go to bed. They always seemed to be the complete opposite of what their parents, or in my case their babysitter, wanted.

       I've babysat these three children enough to know that they would eventually tire themselves out as they ran in circles around the living room.

       Seven-year-old Mercy suddenly flopped down onto the couch, right beside me. "Holden," she said. "Can we have some chocolate?"

       "Uh, no," I said. "I told you three to go brush your teeth ten minutes ago but you didn't listen. You're supposed to be getting ready for bed but instead, you three chose to keep running around the living room."

       "Daddy lets us have chocolate before we go to bed," Mercy's twin brother, Lucian, said.

       "Nice try," I said. "I may not be the smartest person, but you're not able to trick me. He does not let you eat chocolate before you go to bed, especially when you're supposed to be brushing your teeth."

       "He does," five-year-old Castiel said. "It helps us fall asleep faster."

       I didn't even know why they bothered at times. With kids this hyper, there was no way their dad would give them chocolate right before they go to bed.

       Thankfully, Shaw chose that exact moment to walk through the front door. "Uh, why are they still up?" he asked. "Holden, I've told you I wanted them in bed by ten o'clock."

       "I told them to brush their teeth, but they were too busy running around the living room," I said. "Oh, and they said you give them chocolate before they go to bed because it helps them fall asleep faster."

       "I do not," Shaw said. "Alright, you three. Go brush your teeth now."

       "Aww, but we want to stay up," Lucian said. "We like having Holden around."

       "Yeah," Mercy agreed. "Is he your boyfriend yet?"

       "No, Holden isn't my boyfriend," Shaw said.

       "Aww, but we like him," Mercy said. "Mommy does too. She says he's a lot better than your last boyfriend, and we agree."

       "Yeah!" Castiel said. "He was a meanie face!"

       Shaw sighed. "Like I said, Holden isn't my boyfriend. Now head upstairs to go brush your teeth. I'll be there in a moment."

       "Fine," Mercy said before giving me a hug. "Bye, Holden. Thanks for watching us again."

       "Well, I like babysitting you three," I said. "Even if you are a handful at times."

       "All kids are," Lucian said as he gave me a hug as well, followed by Castiel. "Bye, Holden."

       The three of them then ran upstairs to get ready for bed. Shaw told me he would walk me out, so I got up from the couch and put on my shoes and jacket before the two of us walked outside. He closed the door behind him and I turned to face him. "I just don't get why we can't tell them," I said. "They keep asking if I'm your boyfriend yet."

       "I know," Shaw said. "They're constantly asking me even when you're not around."

       "So why can't we tell them?" I asked. 

       "Because kids aren't the best at keeping secrets," Shaw said. "One minute they know, and the next the whole village knows."

       "Well, yeah, but it's not that bad of a secret," I said. "It's just a relationship. One that I didn't even know why we're hiding."