It's not over yet, is it?

Pete's last session with Patrick goes by in a blur or it seems that way to Pete. Patrick had brought coffee again and some delicious cupcakes – in a bag that Pete rips from Patrick's hand, but gives back to him after he claims the best for himself. Soulmate or not, if it's about coffee or baked goods, all men fend for themselves.

They talk about this and that, Patrick asking questions about Pete's tattoos, intentionally or not avoiding his soulmate-tattoo hidden, as usual, under Pete's gloves and Pete getting into all the stories behind them. Not every tattoo has a deep and meaningful story; some are just results of drunken adventures and adolescent foolishness.

And Pete learns that music is to Patrick what tattoos are to Pete. Patrick doesn't seem to even think about it when he starts describing what it makes him feel and how it inspires him. Pete tries to keep focused on his work, but catching himself stopping every now and then, looking at Patrick, whose eyes shine with excitement.

Joe joins them at one point, probably bored alone in the front or just meddling. He and Patrick seem to get along great, too. Patrick just fits right in with them, like he's supposed to be there. Pete should stop finding all these ironic twists and turns in this scenario.

It's just as Joe leaves them alone again to sit in the front that Pete is finishing up the last bit of Patrick's tattoo. His name on Patrick's skin is almost gone, a shadow, like someone drew on his skin with a pen and it's all rubbed off.

And even though he feels crappy about that, he's also glad he met Patrick and that he decided to do the removal.

He likes Patrick, he does and he wants him to be happy and he wants to see the happy look on his face when Pete is telling him that it's done.

With a deep breath he lays the laserpen down and shuts off the machine, rolls backwards away on his stool to get the disinfectant and a last after-care package.

"This was your last session. Here's a little care-package for you. Just use the cream-"

"But I can still see it."

Pete looks up at Patrick with a raised brow, the package in his hands as he rolls back towards him again and placing it on the table between them.

"It will fade away over the next couple of days – that is if you use the cream and follow the instructions I'm trying to give to you."

Patrick's cheeks turn red – probably embarrassed for jumping the gun.

"...thank you!"

Pete dismisses it with a wave of his hand, pushing the care-package closer to Patrick. With quick fingers he wipes the skin clean with the disinfectant and covers it up with a plastic wrap.

"No, really, you helped me a lot. I'm glad I walked into your shop. I almost gave up."

Looking up again Pete sees the look he's been waiting for, Patrick's eyes shining with happiness and his lips stretched into a wide grin he can't hide. He can see that Patrick means it. It feels like a warm blanket and an ice bucket thrown over him at the same time.

"You're welcome."

Pete's smile is forced and he hopes Patrick doesn't notice. He waits a few seconds to see if Patrick wants to say something else, but Patrick just gets up from where he's sitting, rolling down the sleeve of his cardigan – the same he wore the first day Pete saw him - turns around to go and Pete follows. It feels like he has to drag his feet because they don't want Patrick to go either.

He should say something. No, he shouldn't. It's too late. God, this feels like right before Patrick's first session when he debated himself over whether to tell Patrick or not.

He's lost in his own thoughts and doesn't notice Patrick stopping in the doorway, prompting him to almost walk into him.

He's about to apologize when Patrick swings around, words spilling from his lips.

"Can I buy you a drink... sometime?"

It's most definitely not what Pete had expected and with all that has happened he never had thought about that, because it's so out of the question, it's ridiculous.

So ridiculous that Pete freezes and even Patrick can see it and jumps into a hurried explanation.

"As a thank you. It doesn't have to be a date or something. Although I would like that, but of course I can understand if you doesn't. What with me being your customer and with what I said about your soulmate and I'm still sorry about that and maybe it's weird, that's why I waited until you finished and now I fell like an idiot and I'm just gonna shut up now."

Patrick presses his lips together. They look at each other and Pete hides a laugh under his breath.

He wants to say yes, desperately, but he has to say no, he can't do that. Nothing would ever come off it, he would always have to hide this huge thing and that wouldn't even work. Pete would always have to be careful not to say or show too much and it's just a bad, bad idea.

"Okay."

He should have said no and now he is scribbling down the address of his favorite bar on a crumbled piece of paper, folding it before holding it out to Patrick.

Patrick doesn't even know his real name.

"I know this great bar, maybe I see you there tonight and you can buy me a drink."

Patrick takes the paper, holding it carefully between his fingers and smiles at Pete with something that looks like affection.

This is what should have happened between them. Something easy. No confusion and anger, no one being uncomfortable and resentful. And it could have if they met under different circumstances. But maybe it'll all work out in the end anyway.

"I'm looking forward to it."

"Yeah, me too."

Another heartbeat and Patrick turns again to leave and Pete wants to follow, but Patrick stops again and this time Pete does walk into him.

"Sorry. But- we never talked about payment." Patrick rubs his neck, blushing a little.

And Pete should have thought about that before, too, but it slipped his mind.

"I actually don't charge for this."

The words hang in the space between them and when they register with Patrick his face looks all scrunched up, nose wrinkled and his eyebrows drawn low in confusion.

"As you said, nobody asked you if you wanted it, so why should you pay to have it removed? I think you shouldn't. It's a policy."

Which is true, but Pete thinks even if it weren't, he would not charge Patrick, could not. He can see Patrick thinking through what Pete just said, his features relaxing after a few seconds.

"That's- generous. You surprise me yet again."

When Patrick turns around for the third time it's for good, he leaves the shop, after saying his goodbye to Joe.

It takes only a few seconds after the door falls shut and Joe is standing in front of Pete in the backroom.

"So you're finally having a hot date with your soulmate?"

He's avoids looking at Joie, instead busying his hands with cleaning up papers.

"No, I'm possibly having a drink with Patrick. And you should really not eavesdrop. What would Marie say to that?"

"Oh, she wants a play-by-play when I get home, for sure. And what are you doing about this?" Next Joe had Pete's arm up on eye-level and pulls of the glove from Pete's hands. "Wear your gloves for your date?"

Pete thinks that's an excellent question, one he hadn't thought about yet, since he never met Patrick outside his little shop.

"I'll think of something, don't worry."