Chapter 7: Drive

Like, the Adam Levine. The one who wanted me on his team for a reality singing competition. The one I chose a country star over.

Apparently, I wasn’t the only surprised one. “You’re the girl who sang that kickass cover of the Goo Goo Dolls song. Analeigh, wasn’t it?” Adam said, looking shocked.

“You’re…Adam Levine,” I replied, easily more shocked. I tried to take a step, but my knees turned to Jell-O, though not from being absolutely star struck. My head spun a million miles an hour.

Adam rushed to steady me, his hands grabbing lightly onto my arms. “And you’re going to a hospital, whether you like it or not,” he said, staring at me with his eyes narrowed. I leaned against the wall, trembling as I quickly buttoned up my jeans. I had a feeling Adam saw what I was doing, and his expression darkened a little. “Who the hell was that?”

“An ex-boyfriend,” I muttered, a tear falling out of my eye before I shortly brushed it away. “One that should have never been my boyfriend in the first place.”

“I can see that,” he noted. “Guess this puts a damper on your four chair turn.”

I managed a grin, but it felt fake even to me. “Something like that.”

I turned to face him head on, prepared to tell him thank you and goodbye, and his eyes widened. “You’re bleeding.”

“What?” I replied, astonished. I lifted my hand to my face and was surprised to feel a warm wetness around my hairline. “Oh, shit.”

“That’s it, I’m calling an ambulance,” Adam said, pulling out his phone.

“No!” I exclaimed. “You can’t. If this…if somehow any of this were to make it onto the show…he’d get even angrier, and I don’t want to know what he’d do if he was actually furious.”

Adam looked at me, clearly conflicted. “You need to get that looked at,” he said. “And that ex of yours shouldn’t be allowed to just run away.”

“I have a little bit of medical knowledge. I can patch myself up when I get home.” I sighed. “As for Zane, he won’t get away. Trust me. My dad’s a detective for the LAPD. If he gets wind of this, Zane is done for.”

“Good. Bastard deserves it.” He paused for a moment. “I’m sorry, but I just can’t leave you here. Let me take you to your place.”

“I…my little sister and my best friend, they’re inside, I can’t leave them.”

Adam shook his head. “I really can’t take no for an answer. I just watched you get assaulted in front of my eyes, and even though you broke my heart when you didn’t pick me as your coach, I do feel obliged to make sure you get home okay.”

I looked at him, conflicted. “Are you sure? I mean, I wouldn’t want a camera to find us or anything.”

Adam grinned at me. “It’s deceptively easy to avoid the paparazzi when you really need to, especially when you’re an L.A. native. Which I see you are, otherwise you wouldn’t be at Belly’s.”

I gave a little laugh. “Best burgers in the city.”

“Right on,” he replied with a small smile. “You want to call your friend and your sister, tell them you’re calling it a night?”

“Yeah, one sec,” I said, fishing my phone out of my pocket. When I pulled it out, I groaned. “Damn you, Zane!”

“What?” Adam asked.

“When he pushed me—”

“I’m inclined to argue that he threw you, not pushed you.”

“What does it matter? My phone shattered.” I gave an exasperated noise and turned it on, grumpily staring at the cracks in the screen as I looked for Heather’s number. Once I had it I dialed it, and Heather answered after a ring.