Chapter Four - The Ups and Downs (Literally) (1)

After Callia showed me directions, I managed to get to the Command Center.

LOCATION: GLASS CLIFFS (DEFIANT, REGAL SYSTEM)

"As many of you know, an incident happened today. One of our own was attacked by three former members of the special forces," the Admiral said with a hardened tone. "I want all of you to be on high alert. Watch out for any signs. But I need you to be quiet about this, make sure that they think they are safe. Dismissed, and good luck."

The command center was a round room on the top of the Glass Cliffs, with a view encompassing Prometheus and the landing pads, where ships were busy dropping supplies off. Computers filled the room, with a round holographic display table in the center. The Admiral leaned over the table, studying the map. The other captains around me were quickly filing out of the room, and I soon joined them.

Everything about the situation was odd. Three normal troopers suddenly launching out in a vicious attack? Something must've really ticked them off. Or maybe it was apart of something bigger – much bigger.

I had reached my room and opened the door, crashing into my office chair. "Computer, pull up all records on the three members of the special forces arrested today in the Glass Cliffs," I said into empty space.

A hologram popped up, displaying their criminal records and their short description. Surprisingly, all three of them had no criminal record to speak of at all. There wasn't anything special about them in any way. No close ties to anyone outside of the military, no strange activity. I twisted a pen in my hand, trying to think about the situation.

"Computer, were they offered a position in the Horizon Project?" I asked.

"No, and when asked, they said that they didn't mind it," a robotic voice answered.

A perfectly normal response. Either they were trying to cover something up, or they were telling the truth. Still, if they had been able to make it to the special forces, then they were extremely loyal to the Republic. A sudden outburst of rage made no sense.

"Computer, pull up their activities from today."

The hologram changed, a different screen popping into existence. They were with each other for almost the whole day, walking around the whole facility. Were they scheming or were they just friends? I gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed they were friends. They just seemed like normal soldiers. No hint that they would betray the Republic they've worked so hard to protect.

"Who did they interact with, besides themselves?"

About a dozen files appeared, none of them sticking out in particular. Odd. Whatever the case was, I had my first day of training tomorrow, and I had no intention of being sleepy for it. I hopped into bed, and sleep soon grasped me.

* * *

"I'm pretty sure that all of you know that this ain't gonna be no yellow brick road. Welcome to Physical Trainin'!" a tall man boomed.

The tall man was Sergeant Ford, and as he said, this was Physical Training. Or as I like to call it, my personal slice of h –

"Today you will be assigned your squads! And your squads are assembled this way for a reason, so no switching!" Sergeant Ford yelled, interrupting my train of thought. "Captains! Stand up!"

I walked over to the line of captains, excited to see who I was going to be assigned with. The Sergeant started listing off names, and I listened for when he said mine.

" – Captain Frederick Williams! You will be captaining the Phantom Squad, and your squadmates are Callia Clayton and..."

Callia was great, this was going to g–