Chapter 3

April 14th, 1912

Waking up the following morning, Grace was extremely excited about finally getting the chance to spend some time with Peter. She was so excited in fact, that she didn't even wait on Mary to come and drag her out her. That morning when Mary had come into the room she was expecting to find a sleepy, Grace either still sound asleep or having her head buried underneath one of her goose feather pillows. But instead, only to find a cheerful Grace busily digging through her assortment of different patterned riding habits trying to find the perfect one.

As Grace continued to rummage through her wardrobe, unaware that anyone but her was in the room, Mary smiled and quietly chuckled a bit to herself before finally clearing her throat loudly. "Well, I see someone is extremely excited about their horse riding lesson today."

Upon hearing Mary's voice behind her, Grace nearly jumped out of her skin. She slowly turned her head to the side and saw Mary standing there with a look of curiosity on her face. "W-What was that Mary?" Grace asked, as she nervously rubbed her fingers against the fabric of one of the riding habits that she still had her hand on.

"I said, someone is extremely excited about their horse riding lesson today. This is a bit odd for you though considering the fact that when father told you that he had set up these lessons for you, you sounded less than enthused about it. What's going on, Grace?" Mary asked as she crossed her arms against her chest and stared at Grace, curious about what was going to be coming out of Grace's mouth.

Grace let go of the riding habit and started pacing back in forth in front of her wardrobe, before finally stopping and turning to look at Mary. "Okay, if I tell you this do you promise me that you won't get upset or anything?"

"It depends on what it is?" Mary said as she uncrossed her arms and then placed her hands on her hips.

Grace took a deep breath and then finally spoke, "Okay. I asked Peter yesterday if he go with me to my horse riding lesson since you were going to be busy helping the kitchen staff with the lunch for father's meeting with his business partner."

"And what was Peter's response?"  Mary asked.

"He agreed that he would go with me. But only if I promised him that he wouldn't get in trouble with father. Please Mary. Please. Can you keep this a secret between the two of us about Peter going with me?" Grace pleaded.

Mary moved her hands from her hips and walked over to Grace and embraced her in a tight hug. "Child, have I ever done you wrong before. Grace trust me I'm not going to say anything to anyone about Peter going with you. I mean ever since you two have met at your birthday party I've seen the way he looks at you, like a little puppy in love. And trust me if your father does get curious about who went with you I'll just tell him that I sent Winston with you which will partially be telling the truth."

Grace grasped the back of Mary's dress as they continued to hug. "No, Mary. You have never done me wrong before in fact, every time I did something that I wasn't supposed to do and you knew about it first, you never let father know about it. Thanks Mary."

Mary gently released her hold on Grace and held Grace by the arm at arms length. "See. Now that wasn't so hard now was it?" Mary asked with a smile.

Grace shook her head, causing several pieces of her blonde hair to fall in her face. "No, it wasn't. I should have told you about it last night but I was to nervous to say anything."

"Well there is nothing to worry about. What your father doesn't know won't kill him and even if it does I pretty sure not too many people would care. Your father is how should I put it an asshole." Mary said in a joking manner as she walked over to Grace's bath pitcher and wash bowl and began to pour some cold water into the bowl.