11.1 Carnival

CHAPTER ELEVEN

CARNIVAL

Something was different this year. The people and machines and food were all the same, but now those elements converged into an exoskeleton of genuine amusement. The carnival was alive this year. The midway was a torso. Clusters of rides extended like arms from its core. The kiddie attractions were squished together at one end beside the Community Center while the fun rides twirled like fingers in the distance. The visitors were the carnival’s cells, zipping through vein-like streets from one ride to the next, giving purpose to the bright, undulating machines.

I knew the carnival wasn't anymore alive this year than it was last year, it only seemed alive because Mara was at my side.

The six of us proudly boasted our wristbands as we took to the streets. The bright-blue bracelets were sticky along the edges where the ticket lady misaligned the top flap with the bottom. Kimmy told us they were the exact same bands that nightclubs make you wear if you don't look twenty-one. Haley and Livy didn’t believe her.

Whit's wheelchair doubled as a plow. With me as his navigator, we lead the charge through the horde of kids and parents and carnies in red and white stripes.

“What's that?” Mara asked, her face aglow with amber light, then teal light, then green.

“That's the Scrambler,” I said. “It’s cool, but it doesn't go upside down.”

She raised her finger above the horizon. “What about that one?”

“That's the Salt and Pepper Shaker.”

“It goes upside down?”

“Yep.”

“Let’s ride that one first!”

Kimmy interrupted before I could agree. “Holy Hannah, is that Chrissy and Nick?”

Haley bobbed her head to peek through the mass. “Where? I don't see ‘em.”

“Over there! Behind the elephant ears!”

“Oh my gosh.” She stuck out her tongue. “It totally is.”

“Hey James,” Kimmy called. “Haley wants an elephant ear!”

“I do not!” she said and smacked Kimmy's chest.

“Crap, crap, crap,” Livy said, falling in line with her friends. “How's my hair?” She rooted her purse, forgetting that Mom had confiscated her mirror.

Kimmy grabbed her arm, “You're gorgeous, darling,” then waved to Mara. “Wanna meet Chrissy and Nick?”

“Nope!” Mara pointed to the Salt and Pepper Shaker. “I'm goin' on that!”

The girls turned to leave.

“Wait!” Whit said. “We're not supposed to split up!”

Kimmy scrambled his hair and cooed in a baby voice, “Such a goody-goody, Whitney.” They turned again, burrowed an opening in the crowd, and vanished.

“Meet us at the milk bottle game!” Whit shouted. “It's in the midway!”

Kimmy’s hand appeared above the mass and waved her acknowledgment.

“You're a dweeb,” I said, then took the handles and pushed us through the bustling street.

“Will there be clowns here?” Mara asked.

“That's a circus.”

“Oh. Duh.”

A balloon popped to our left and she jumped. “What was that?”