Chapter Two: The Game is On

CHAPTER TWO: THE GAME IS ON

There was a tap on John’s office door. He pretended not to hear it, as if the person on the other side would just go away if he refused to acknowledge them. John had quite a bit of paperwork to do if he wanted to have the weekend off. Someone covered his eyes from behind, and it took everything John had not to use Amelia’s self-defence training lessons on the intruder. However, he relaxed as his nose caught whiff of the familiar scent of Clair de la Lune.

“Guess who?” Mary Morstan’s voice said, sing-song.

“Mm…Amelia?”

  “Nope.”

“Lestrade?”

“Guess again.”

“Oh! I know! It’s Huckleberry Finn!” John said, spinning around in his chair to face his girlfriend. “Oh, no, look, it’s Mary. Shame. I really was excited to meet Huckleberry Finn.”

Mary swatted his shoulder lightly. “You’re horrid.”

“You love it.” John said, placing a knuckle to his bushy moustache. “You know, speaking of Ames, I really should call her…”

“I’m sure if she wanted to hear from you, she’d call you, yeah?” Mary said with a slight tilt of her head. “She’s Amelia—it’d be best to give her space. You know how she gets.”

“Mary, I understand that you two aren’t exactly close, but she’s my sister.”

“Yes, sorry.” Mary said. “She just seems like she’s always hiding something.”

“She works with Mycroft, Mary. She’s always hiding something. It’s part of her job.” John sounded exasperated, and Mary could hear it.

“Sorry, just forget I ever brought it up.” Mary said, shifting on the spot. She rubbed her shoulder, “I’m going out for lunch with Martha, and Jacob, and the others. Do you want to come with?”

John shook his head. “Sorry. I can’t. I’ve got to finish this. But,” He got to his feet, “I promise I’ll be free for the weekend to do whatever you want.”

Mary laughed. “Alright, you.” She shook her head, still chuckling. “I’ll see you in a few, alright?” She placed a kiss on his lips, then tied her scarf, and walked out of the office, calling, “He can’t come, guys!”

There were a few mutters of disproval, and one person, most likely Jacob, said, “Maybe you should try harder in bed, Mary!”

“Oi!” the blonde shouted back but was unable to stop herself from laughing. “You shut up!” She stopped at the door, turning back to John. “Love you.”

John smiled. “Love you, too.” He turned back to his work, drumming his fingers on the keyboard but typing nothing. After a moment of hesitation, John opened up his blog. He hadn’t posted anything on there in a while. He’d been attempting to write up their old cases, and would run them by Amelia before posting them—she had a far better memory than he did.

John’s phone buzzed, and he looked down at the screen to see a message awaiting him.

John,

I know I probably should’ve told you in person, but I knew I wouldn’t be able to stop myself from staying if I had. I’m moving back to New York. The CIA has a job for me, and I think I should take it. Everything reminds me of Him. I’m sorry. –Amelia

“What the hell do you mean you’re moving back to New York?” John demanded into his phone minutes later, all his work forgotten.