23

luke felt his heart fall as he saw a black suv pull up to the clifford's house.

"michael, i can't go.."

"you can do it."

luke shook his head and watched the lady and two men walk towards the door.

"no- no i can't." luke said, his eyes stinging.

karen opened up the door, and luke turned, clinging to michael as if he were hanging on for dear life.

"luke, are you ready?"

"no!" he sobbed, and michael tried pulling luke off a little. luke wasn't going to let go.

"luke, we need to go." dana said.

"no!" luke cried out again.

"just give me a minute with him." michael said quietly, and they all nodded, watching as michael led luke to the living room.

"hey, talk to me.." michael whispered, letting luke sit on his lap.

"i just don't wanna go.." luke cried.

"i know, baby, but it's what's best for you; at least for right now." michael said, rubbing his arm.

"i feel like you want me to go," luke whispered, pushing michael's hand away.

"no, luke.." michael said softly, holding luke. "...i wish you didn't have to go, but i know you need to be with people who can support you and give you everything you deserve. you're not gonna be there forever. think of it as a temporary home, okay?"

luke nodded, but kept holding onto michael's hands.

"i've never loved anyone the way that i love you." michael assured him.

"you mean it?"

"of course i do." michael said, and stood up, holding luke's hand as he led him towards the door.

"you can do this."

luke looked down as michael slipped something in his hand. it was a black bracelet with a small 'm' on it. that made luke smile.

"walk me to the car?"

michael nodded, and slowly walked with luke, savoring the last few seconds they had together.

"i love you forever." michael whispered in luke's ear as he opened the door.

"i love you forever, mikey."

"i promise i'm gonna come and find you one day. this isn't goodbye, okay?" michael said, and luke nodded, trying not to cry as michael shut the door.

luke rolled down the window, and placed his hands on the edge.

"kiss me one more time." luke whispered, and michael pressed his lips to luke's without hesitation.

michael wanted to be selfish, and beg and cry and scream until they let luke stay, but he knew he couldn't do that.

he pulled back slowly, and tears left both of their eyes as the car started to slowly pull away.

michael ran along side the car and luke couldn't help but cry as he reached out for michael.

luke knew it was over when michael started to get left behind.

"i'll love you forever, luke hemmings!"