Chapter 1

To this day, the eve of her Sixth Year at school, Alvara Lily Stone was amazed at it. The granite castle stood at the highest peak of Mount Greylock, the large marble statues of the original headmaster and headmistress flanking the entrance, and the four statues within that chose their student.

As she moved to take her seat at the circular overhead balcony, she remembered her sorting.

As a young eleven year old, Alvara was brought to the school by her grandparents, who then bid her goodbye and made their way home again. She was terrified, and the feeling of immense fear had brought a strange sensation upon her.

|●|●|●|●|

1991 - September

Alvara stared up at the castle in fear. Her grandparents had the odd sensation of taking a child of theirs to a Wizarding school before and gently ushered her forward. Alvara glanced back once before taking a deep breath and walking through the doors with the rest of her future classmates.

One by one, the eleven and twelve year olds were called to stand in the center and wait to be chosen. With each passing student, Alvara's fear grew. It grew to such a point, that she could liken it to a memery of such fear. But it made no sense. In this nightmare of hers, she was in a place called Godric's Hollow, but she knew that was in England. She had been raised in America.

Alvara shook the fear from her mind and cautiously approached the center, taking her time to study the four statues. It felt like an eternity to Alvara when finally, the Thunderbird beat its giant wings. Alvara axhaled in relief and smiled, but then, slowly, the Pukwudgie raised its arrow into the air. Alvara and everyone else froze.

She had to choose. She'd never heard of a student choosing before. Which one? Which one should she chose? Alvara closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

In her mind's eye, she saw herself both soaring above and staying firmly on the ground. Her feet moved of their own accord, and when her fingers came into contact with a stone statue, all Alvara saw was herself soaring high above, adventure around every corner.

She knew where she belonged. "Thunderbird," she said softly, and swiftly joined the new Thunderbird students.

|●|●|●|●|

"Hey!"

Alvara snapped her head towards the whispered shout.

"What?"

"You remember our sorting?"

Alvara rolled her eyes. "Of course I do, Shay. I bloody well couldn't forget it even if I tried!"

Shay rolled her eyes as well. "I freaking hate it when you do that."

"Do what?"

"You speak like you're from England. You're damn American, Allie. Act like it. Besides, you suck at accents."

Alvara successfully smothered her laugh.

"Shut your face, Shay."

Alvara put her arm around the boy next to her. "Don't be nasty, Luci, she just woke up."

"My name is not Luci."

"Aw, the widdle baby's gettin' angwy!"

"Allie, I will --"