34 | Neapolitan Ice Cream

vanadis wanted to cry.

but ofcourse, she was not a crybaby (she keeped telling herself that).

it has been... wait—one, two, three, four, five... it has been five days and giovanni hadn't called yet. had he finally realized that she was no worth?

her heart constricted in pain.

you idiot. it was all your fault. why did you push him away?

she only did what she thought was best. but when did the best ever become so wrong? she felt so wrong. she felt so bad for saying things she never meant.

oh my glob, am i actually turning into an evil witch? but my looks were already enough!

she took a deep breath. now's not the time to make jokes.

"vanadis?"

she jumped when melanie called out and said someone was looking for her. she immediately straightened and walked out of her booth quickly. is it giovanni? but when she saw ashleigh at the counter instead, her shoulders slumped in disappointment.

dumbass. are you expecting giovanni to still see you after all the mean things you said to him?

vanadis walked to ashleigh. the young girl was smiling widely and waving at her. van immediately felt guilty for being disappointed with her presence so she waved back.

"hey, van!" they hugged each other.

"hey." vanadis smiled.

ashleigh raised a brow, "you good? you look worn out."

"no, i'm fine. what's up? what brought you here?"

"i'm hurt! don't you want me here?"

she laughed, "that's not it, silly. i'm just surprised. school's done?"

"yep. i actually thought of shopping with you."

vanadis choked. shopping? it's not that she hated shopping—she actually loved looking and trying on clothes and shoes and stuffs... but she was only going to drool over them.

where will she get the money to buy everything? her own salary barely even shouldered all her needs.

"i have work." van deadpanned.

ashleigh frowned, "when's your out?"

"nine."

"oh."

"yeah, oh."

"i'm just going to kidnap you, then."

"wait, what?"

her jaw dropped when ashleigh began calling melanie. the latter jumped, obviously shocked.

oh, goodie.

"can vanadis have an early out? we haven't seen each other for days and we definitely need to catch up! pretty pleaseee? with cherry on top?"

vanadis gulped and plastered a hand over Ashleigh's mouth, stopping her from blabbering further. this kid! i swear she'd be the death of me!

"mm-mmm!"

van turned to her co-worker and smiled sheepishly, "i'm sorry. she sometimes cannot keep her mouth shut."

"but—mmm!"

melanie's forehead creased and looked at her wrist watch, "it's... six, already. if you want, i can cover up for you."