Chapter 17: True Love

• Dedicated to Caroline Dries

THE blue car pulled into the Salvatore Boarding House's driveway, and the first to exit the car were Alison and Stefan.

They refrained from making any eye contact with each other, and were mortified by what feelings had overwhelmed them in the car.

Damon slammed the car door, and went to the other side. He cradled Elena in his arms, and then eyed his brother and his housemate.

"What's up with you two?"

Ali whistled innocenty, while Stefan's head fell towards the ground.

Damon clapped his hands, with Elena being held by his elbows. "Secrets, secrets, are no fun, unless you share with a certain someone by the name of Damon."

Stefan rolled his eyes. "Damon, there is no secret."

They entered the house through the unlocked door. The Salvatore home was kept with unlocked doors because the real threats to their existence had to be invited in. Damon dropped a groaning Elena onto the couch. She gasped, and her eyes opened. "Damon."

His jaw dropped, and he put his hand on her cheek. "Elena?"

Elena turned over, and mumbled," Who is Elena? And who are you? Who-"

She fell onto the floor and into a deep slumber. Her crash caused a plate to fall, break and slice open her hand. Elena remained fast asleep. Suddenly, the smell of blood filled the room. Elena was bleeding.

Alison walked into the room, and sensed it. Her eyes turned red, and Stefan immediately grabbed her arms.

"Oh, crap", shouted Damon.

"Let. ...go of me!", Alison snarled.

"Come on, Ali. You can do this. Just find something to be your anchor. Mine is the vervain necklace I gave to Elena; it represents hope to me. You can find yours."

"I don't want an anchor, I want her blood. You can't stop me from getting what I want."

Damon bit his wrist, and fed Elena his blood. "Oh, we can. It's called a big old stake to the heart."

Ali roared, and tried to resist Stefan's hold on her. She couldn't.

Damon left the room, carrying Elena away.

Okay, Alison, focus. Find something that will keep you non-freakish. You can do this. Find an anchor, whatever the hell that means.

Alison stopped thinking, because she had found the perfect anchor. It was Stefan.

She closed her eyes, and made soft breathing noises. When she opened them, the need to feed was gone.

Alison cheered.

"Oh my gosh, I did it! Stefan, I did it! I found my anchor!"

Stefan let go of her, and gave her a high five. "All right, Ali! What was your anchor?"

Alison blushed, and walked toward the window. She looked out it, silent for a minute. Then, she returned. "It was you."

Stefan's eyes were focused on Alison's, and Alison's were focused on Stefan's. Never in her life had she seen such a handsome man.

They slowly leaned in together, and their lips touched. A laugh filled the room.

"Bravo, brother. I thought you couldn't be a bad person, but I was wrong. Turns out, you are the type of person who would cheat on your girlfriend with her under the roof."

Alison immediately pulled away, fleeing the room with as much vampire speed as she could handle.

"She's a keeper, little brother. Now that you don't want her, would you mind me taking Elena for myself?"

Stefan buried his head into his hands. "Shut up, Damon. It was a mistake. That's all it was. Now, call Bonnie."

Damon laughed. "She's already here, brother. And she saw all of that."

♡ - ♡ - ♡

Location: Outside

Bonnie Bennett was disgusted with what she had just seen. Stefan, her best friend's boyfriend, with his lips against another girl. She didn't think he was the type of boy who would do such a thing, but apparently, she was wrong.

She'd always assumed that Damon was the evil brother, and after what he had done to Caroline, she thought it was confirmed. But now, she wasn't so sure. Maybe Damon was just trapped inside of his younger brother's world, and desperately trying to flee it.

Damon walked out the door, Elena in his arms. "So, Sabrina, are we going to fix Elena or what?"

Bonnie laughed. "Did you really just reference a 90s television show?"

Damon shrugged. "Did you? So, what do we need to do?"

Bonnie gestured around her. She was surrounded by a large circle of unlit candles.

"Put Elena in the circle with me."

Damon frowned. "Will this hurt her?"

Bonnie impatiently glared. "Do you want to fix the woman you love or not?"

"Okay, moving her."

Bonnie hummed, and began to speak. "Incedious."

As if on cue, all of the candles lit up.

"Animia."

Wind circled Elena and Bonnie, making it hard for Damon to stay on the ground.

"Spiritun."

Suddenly, whispers could be heard. As Bonnie continued saying many words in a language similar to Latin, the noises grew louder.

The spirits whispered. "Why should we grant you this, after you first asked for us to curse her?"

"I was under the impression of compulsion. Please, grant my friend consciousness once more. I beg of you."

The voice of Emily Bennett filled the air. "We accept your plea. But, however, there is a catch. We want you to kill Tatia. It is long overdue."

Bonnie smiled. "Consider it done!"

The wind, whispers, and fire stopped, and Bonnie gasped, her eyes opening.

Damon excitedly stared at Bonnie. "So, what did they say?"

Bonnie smiled once more. "She should wake up any second now. But in return, the spirits want us to kill Tatia. Otherwise the magic will be undone."

"Sweet! We were going to do it anyway."

Elena gasped, and her eyes opened in half a second.

"Bonnie? Damon?! What's going on?"