seven

It's almost been a month since Rachel re-entered the Glade. The actions from the prior night left her speaking to neither Minho and barley ever to Newt. But then one of the Gladers mentioned her change in attitude and her whole attitude switched back to the way it used to be. She acted like nothing had happened. Within the last couple of days, there were a few times where Rachel thought Minho might try to talk to her, but he never did. Rachel normally would've broke and spoken to her best friend by now, but the dream she had rattled her to the point where the others started to notice.

The day had been slow and boring. Rachel kept thinking about Minho, which was the reason they weren't even talking. She made one comment, but it was Minho who stopped talking to her. Rachel was just going about her regular routine, which consisted of her and Minho getting dinner together when he was done mapping his route, but Rachel soon found out he had started eating without her. A year long tradition and it had only been broken when Rachel was banished. So, instead she ate in her tree. If he didn't want to eat with her, whatever. Rachel wasn't so co-dependent she had to eat with him. But it continued. Rachel would catch him staring at her, but he never looked away when she saw him. They didn't talk—they avoided each other—staring be their only source of communication.

One of the times she caught Minho looking at her, he was talking to Newt. Rachel assumed Newt was trying to fix whatever happened between the two best friends. Rachel walked away from the boys. She went to the med-shack and had Clint change her bandages. The two had minimal conversation, Clint sensing that Rachel didn't want to talk. She politely thanked him and went to see if Zart needed help in the gardens. That's where she stayed for a few hours. She picked weeds and harvested fruits and vegetables. Then, she split them up—most went to Frypan, and the minority went to Winston (who told her to leave because Alby said she wasn't allowed back until she has fully healed). (He also told her to shower because she "smelled like klunk".) Rachel glared at him, but went and did just that. And shuck was it refreshing.

By the time she got out, the Runners were back and eating dinner with everyone else. Even Fry was eating already. Rachel flung the excess water from her hair and went to the kitchen for whatever food was left. Fry was nice enough to leave her a plate that he made up in advance. She walked out from under the pavilion and began walking across the green. Half way there, she spotted a moving blue speck and sped up her pace.

Rachel slowed down when she got closer to the tree. She rounded it. The blue speck was Minho's shirt.

He looked up at Rachel and stopped chewing. "Hi," he said a little hesitantly with his mouth full. Rachel looked at him for a moment, then sat down beside him. Minho stifled a sigh of relief and visibly relaxed. Rachel looked at him and offered a small smile. He smiled back, his cheeks puffed from the food stuffed in them. Rachel laughed. "Swallow your food, you shank. You look ridiculous."

He snorted and swallowed his food. He turned at Rachel with a gleam in his eye that Rachel didn't catch—she was too busy taking a bite of goat. They were quiet for a moment.

"Are you okay?"

Rachel stopped and looked over at her friend.

"I saw you the other night... with Newt..."

Rachel's face went blank.

"Don't do that, Rachel. I just want to know if you're okay."

She softened. "I'm better now. A lot better." She turned back to her food.

Minho smiled.

...

The next day, the Greenie came. His name was Chuck. Everyone was picking on him because he was so young and scared. Rachel felt bad for him and took him under her wing.