ONE SHOT

It is well said that only a single moment is required to change lives. She gained consciousness few  minutes back and all she was trying to recall the events happened in their life two days back. The sharp pain in her abdomen and at the foot was making her restless and sick, her palm was feeling a sharp pain of needles, the everything appeared so messed and painful for her to take. A whimper came out from her lips as she ignored everything and tried to open her eyes for another time. After a successful attempt of opening her eyelids the first thing she tried to recognize the surrounding which seemed unfamiliar to her.

The last she remembered herself returning back from phoenix mall along her friend and certainly she do not remembered clearly what happened after that. She blinked her eyes few times after absorbing the pain and she registered the two faint voices which seemed familiar.

Dr Vandita and her husband, Raman.

Apparently her husband was discussing about her health with her doctor Vandita, she tried to get their words but her mind refused to listen anything except the fact that something was not good with her baby but what was it? Her motherly instincts didn't wished to listen anything bad about her baby, she felt herself restless and anxious unable to absorb the information she overheard. She wish to scream and cry aloud but the words refused to came out from her mouth, she clutched the sheets beneath of her body feeling helpless. She badly wished to have her husband beside her but her weak body didn't allowed anything much. She badly wished to have her Raman beside her and maybe murugan heard her prayers when she felt her husband beside her.

"Vandita Ishita....Ishita. Please dekho usko jaldi."

She didn't remembered what happened after that but the effects of sedatives took over her and she lost her consciousness.

***********

Few hours later, when she opened her eyes the pain became considerably bearable for her to keep her vision steady and search for the person she yearn most. And another sob came out from her dry lips looking at her husband who was seated next to her, keeping her weak palms in his own. Her eyes welled up with tears of grief, she wished herself to get disappear away from him but his moist eyes stopped her from thinking anything irrational. His bloodshot red eyes wrenched her heart.

"Raman."

"My love, my jaan. Ishi....thank God you opened your eyes. Main bohot dar gaya tha, meri jaan nikal gayi thi Ishita." Ishita blinked her eyes continued to look at her husband who looked completely worn out, the blue formal he wore yesterday looked crumbled, his short locks appeared messy.

"Humara baccha.......humara baccha toh theek hai na Raman?" Raman grip loosened from his wife palm after hearing her questions, the eyes which refused to blink even was trying not to meet with her. His shoulders slumped down and he kept his eyes averted from her.

"Bolo na, humara baccha kaisa hai?" Her teary pleads broke him more making his eyes moist.

"Kya hoga humare bacche ko Ishita. Woh theek hai bilkul. Tum please rest karo na." He knew his heart break into pieces while feeding lies to his wife but he was helpless that time, nothing mattered to him more than her health. He love his baby but not more than his wife. He had already lost lost a piece of their heart and now he wasn't ready to loose his life.

"Yahi baat meri aankhon mein dekh kar kaho na Raman."

"Ishi...."

"We lost our baby Raman, haina. Nahi hai na ab woh humare beech?" And the simple line from her simply broke him, the strength he gathered in last few hours washed away with her tears.

"How you came to know about it?" He dared to ask with difficulty still sad with the news of mishap.

"I am feeling him inside me from the day I discovered this news Raman, if I can feel his presence then how can I not feel his absence? It's a void here.....pure void." She was not his bubbly Ishi words, the woman crying in his arms was a too be mother who was excited for the baby from the day she discovered the news, the new mother who was weaving a new dream for the life growing inside her. He always used to wonder if his wife can ever be act mature but today he realised circumstances do change everyone. He wiped her tears with the pad of his thumbs not wish to exert her and peaked her forehead with love.