xvi

WORLD ON FIRE

DAYS IN THE ARENA :

III

THEY had never made it this far.

Katniss and Peeta; in all their years of being mentors never had two tributes make it to the third day, the top eight. That being said, they were unused to the customs that came with it. Back in Twelve, it meant interviewing friends and families, and here in the Capitol, it meant doing special features. The mentors of the surviving tributes would meet with Caesar Flickerman on stage to discuss highlights and win over more sponsorships. This was the time that betting got really hot in the Capitol.

It had been a long time since tributes from District 12 made it into the top eight. And now, for the first time in twenty—five years, there were two of them — their own children.

It felt good to be useful, Katniss realized, even if it was in a way that she hated. At least she could do this. Get them sponsors. Help them survive. Besides, Peeta was the charmer of them both. He would take the reins with Caesar just as he always had. All Katniss had to do was stand there and smile.

But she couldn't even do that.

Halfway out the door of the viewing room, Katniss suddenly froze and Peeta glanced back at her, frowning, "What?"

Her grey Seam eyes were locked on the main screen where the Games were being played. She couldn't speak, lips frozen and jaw locked shut. Her chest was beginning to heave for desperate breath, eyes burning with terror and fury. Peeta was beginning to panic at her side, eyes brimming with concern and voice unsteady.

"Katniss, what is it?"

Wordlessly, all Katniss could do was stare. Peeta had no choice but to follow her gaze.

On the screen, one of their children was being murdered.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━