Chapter 9 - The Odd Glance

The next day came and Hermione woke up to Lavender and Parvati chattering about their most current crushes. For some reason, Draco Malfoy flashed through her mind as she heard their girlish giggles. Too tired to question her early morning thoughts, she quickly shook the blond from her mind without another thought.

She went through her normal schedule to get ready and joined Harry and Ron down in the common as usual.

It was almost as if yesterday hadn't even happened. But it had. Hermione couldn't forget it. She wouldn't forget it for the rest of her life. Malfoy had most likely already forgotten it himself, but Hermione couldn't find it in herself to think of him as a bad guy anymore. But that would change with time, wouldn't it? After all, it wouldn't be long before the pureblood elitist called her a mudblood again, and she would be over her temporary forgiveness of him; right?

"You ready to go down, Hermione?" Harry had his bag slung over his shoulder. Ron had his own bag over his left shoulder, and Hermione's on his right. They were still babying her. She would milk it while she could. After all, it wasn't every day Hermione got the princess treatment from her best friends.

"Yeah, let's go. Are you sure you wanna carry my bag, Ron?"

"It's okay, 'Mione. I don't mind at all." It looked like he was struggling with it. Ron knew about how studious Hermione was. He should have expected that she would carry around her school books plus more all day. He had wrought this on himself.

They exited the tower and began making their way downstairs. The paintings on the walls yawned and waved sleepily every few feet. Ron and Harry seemed to be avoiding the topic of the near-fatal fall yesterday, and Hermione was thankful for that. Instead, they talked about their latest Defense Against the Dark Arts class. Professor Lupin had brought in a boggart, and they had learned how to confuse it and defend themselves against it.

"I like that he's having such hands-on lessons. It's a great change from last year's crackpot lessons-if you could even call those things lessons," Ron said, trumpeting a laugh as he reminisced.

"Lockhart would have been a great professor if only he were able to stay in class the entire time."

"Hermione, do you still admire that fraud?"

"No! I don't!" Hermione blushed, looking away. "I like Lupin a lot more this year. You remember those times when Lockhart left the students to clean up the pesks he would bring in to show us? Lupin at least knows what he's doing. I wish I'd had a turn with the boggart. I can only wonder what my greatest fear would be."

"Probably a gigantic paper with a big fat F on it," Ron grinned, laughter shining in his eyes.

"Hermione, do you think that what happened yesterday may have changed your worst fear? I mean, it may have been failure before, but what if its something like falling or heights now?" Harry brought up a good point.

Could her worst fear be heights now? Or was it the fact that magic was such a fleeting thing? More importantly, was that something she would want to share with Harry and Ron? Ron had been around magic all his life, and Harry had been able to go up against evils even without magic. Would they understand? Hermione pushed her thoughts to the back of her mind, just as she always had done.

"I wonder how a boggart could show a fear like that."

The other boys only shrugged in response, not wanting to fight the sudden noise of the crowd on their way to breakfast.

The trio arrived in the Great Hall, which was already booming with business. Hermione gazed around, not sure exactly what she was searching for. The Weasley twins were bobbing from person to person by the Ravenclaws. Ginny Weasley waved to them from a spot in the center of the Gryffindor table. McGonagall was staring sternly over at a few Slytherins. The Slytherins climbed down from their spots on top of the Hufflepuff table as they noticed her glare. Lavender and Parvati were gossiping and giggling, shooting glances over at an older boy in Hufflepuff.

A crawling sensation sent chills down Hermione's spine as she took her seat next to Harry at the table. She whipped her head around, certain that someone was looking at her. Across the hall, silver eyes bore into her back, not breaking even when her own brown eyes met his.

Draco Malfoy was papery white, with dark bags under his eyes. And he was staring at her as if she had found out a life-threatening secret about him that she was bound to blurt out at any moment.

"What's up with Malfoy? He's got his eyes glued on us," Harry said as he followed Hermione's gaze and sent his own glare across the hall to Malfoy. "I bet he's planning something. We should keep our eyes on him."

Hermione remained silent, unnerved at the fact that Malfoy looked half-dead and that he had yet to let his gaze fall from hers. She turned back to her empty plate, a funny feeling in her stomach and her ears burning. She again dismissed the feeling, blaming the crowded atmosphere rather than trying to overthink it.

"Here, have some toast, Hermione." Ginny held out some buttered toast, still warm as the butter melted into the bread. "I heard what happened yesterday. Ron told me. I hope you don't mind; I wanted to let you know that you've got all your friends here to help you."

Hermione nodded silently, shooting a reassuring grin Ginny's way.

"If you'd like my thought on the matter, I think it might help you to write about the experience. Maybe you could send a letter to your parents? Or you could just start a journal if you don't want your parents worrying about you."

"That's a great idea. Thanks, Ginny. My parents have never really understood the dangers I've gotten myself into the past couple years. But this one wouldn't pass them. And because of that... I'll be keeping this between us. But starting a journal isn't a bad idea." Hermione shoveled a few bites of egg into her mouth and stood.

"I have to go to my first class now. I'll see you all later." Everyone nodded goodbye, bidding her farewell.

No one noticed when Draco Malfoy followed her out of the hall only moments after her exit.