Chapter 1

The morning sun and the heat in my room had woke me up. Groaning, I tried reaching for my blanket to shield my eyes. Only to figure out that during the middle of the night, I had threw it off myself and it was on the floor. Sighing, I got out of bed, stretching to get my muscles going.

"Iris. Are you up?" My father called. I walked out of by bedroom and into the small hallway that led to the living room. The kitchen was the door to the right of the living room and the door that was across the room from the hallway was the dining room which was connected to the kitchen by another door. "Are you in the kitchen dad?" I asked, walking into the kitchen, finding my father hovering over the stove. "Yes. Right here." He said.

It was just me and my father since I was 13. Just us since that unfaithful day seven years ago. I thought that day, I would have lost him and not my mother. But when my mother left me in the bunker to get my father or fight for our pack, she lost her life. Only being 40 years old when she died. She would have been 47 this year.

"What are you making?" I asked, standing next to him. "Eggs and pancakes. Interested?" He asked. I nodded, my stomach growling in hunger. "Yes please." I said, grabbing two plates. "What are your plans for today?" My father asked me as he plated two pancakes on a plate and some scrambled eggs. "I'm probably going to go to the waterfall today." I said, grabbing the plate and forks. "What are your planes for today?" I asked as I started to eat. "Just hang around the house today. Maybe walk around the pack."

I nodded and already finished half of my food. "What's so special about that waterfall you always go to?" My father asked as he started eating. I shrugged. "It was just a place I fell in love with. Reminds me of mom, in a way. She was soothing, just like the noise of the waterfall." I said and set my dish and fork in the sink. Dad sighed. "Do you ever miss your mother?" He asked me. Biting back tears, I nodded. "Yeah. I do. But hey. One day, we'll be able to see her." I said.

I turned around and my father gave me a hug. "I miss her too." He whispered to me. I wrapped my arms around his neck. "We have each other though." I told him and kissed his cheek. My dad pulled back and smiled at me. "I love you, dad." I told him. "I love you, too, my butterfly." He smiled and kissed my nose.

I giggled and slipped out of his arms. "I'm gonna go change and walk out to the waterfall. I'll see you for lunch?" I asked, walking back to the living room then to the hallway. "See you at noon." Dad called. "See you at noon." I called back, entering my room and changed into a plain t-shirt and shorts. Walking back into the hallway and out the front door, which was on the wall across from the kitchen door. "Bye daddy. Love you." I called. "Bye, butterfly. Love you."

I closed the front door and took in the warmth of the sun and the slight breeze in the air. Taking a deep breath I changed into wolf form and trotted towards the edge of the pack territory. Our pack was small, even before the attack. We had about 380 people in our pack when I was 13. Now, at age 20, there was 150 left. The old alpha, his wife, and three sons had all died in the attack and a new alpha had arose. I haven't met the guy, much less seen his face other than pictures. His name was Darius Rhett. He had midnight black hair, green electric eyes, and fair skin. He was probably six years older than me. So that made him 26 years old.

I got to the waterfall and jumped in, still in wolf form. My wolf was the same color of my hair. A medium brownish color. I look a lot like my mother, in my opinion. She had the same brown hair, blue eyes, same nose and jaw, and tan colored skin.

I doggy paddled for awhile until I heard a crunch of leaves and distant voices. I changed back to human form and swam under the waterfall and hid in the small cave behind the waterfall.

The footsteps came closer and closer to the waterfall and I saw a faint black outline across from the waterfall. I slowly crept to one side of the waterfall where there was a faint opening between the running water and the damp, cold stone wall of the cave. I tried peering over and saw a glimpse of a white wolf.

My heart thudded. From fear and another emotion. But I couldn't put my finger on it. Couldn't figure out what else I was feeling. Who was this? I thought to myself. I moved slightly on the rock I was sitting on to get a better look but my hand slipped and I cut it on a rock. My hand stung and blood dripped from it. I growled lowly and the head of the wolf snapped in my direction. I gasped and slid back into the cave. Did they see me?

Then a splash. Oh no. I had no where to go. I knew all too well that this cave didn't have another exit other than the swimming through the waterfall and through the lake below it. I gulped, trying to scoot away into the darkness so they wouldn't notice me but it was all too late. A figure came out of the waterfall. A human figure with a face that I never expected to see in my life.