Chapter 2

Ginny found her seat at the Gryffindor table, but ignored the rowdy chatter of her friends around her. Every time she would look up from her very filled plate, her eyes would immediately be drawn to the curly moonlight locks at the Ravenclaw table. Whenever Luna would simply move her head, Ginny would become entranced all over again. She was suddenly snapped out of her daze by the waving of a hand in her face.

"I know we're not thrilling, Gin, but an attempt at conversation would be nice." Her fellow Gryffindors chuckled as Ginny grew flustered, adjusting her attention to her friends. They didn't mind her recent absentmindedness as much as she believed they did.

"S-sorry guys. Quidditch on my mind." It was perfectly believable. They all knew of her love for the sport. As they returned to eating, Ginny glanced up to see Luna turn around long enough to flash a small smile. Ginny smiled back and kept smiling down at her plate. After the dinner and Sorting Ceremony, the staircases were flooded with students wanting to rest after a long day. The crimson-haired Gryffindor fought her way through the crowded common room. "Move your bloody arses before I do it for you!" she yelled. The crowd parted enough for her to make her way up the stairs to the girls' dormitory. Sighing, she slipped into a comfortable pair of sweatpants and a quidditch sweatshirt. The tired witch made her way into bed and began a restless night.

She woke up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night. Her hair was plastered to her face and her breathing was quick and shallow. "Damn nightmares again," she managed to gasp out. Sliding into a pair of slippers, Ginny managed to stand on shaky legs before making her way quietly out of the common room, much to the Fat Lady's protests. The witch began her sneaky movement to the owlery, hoping to find some peace of mind.

Ginny slowly crept down the corridors and out into the cold night, shivering slightly upon discovering the drafty temperature. The grass crunched beneath her as her hazel eyes flicked back and forth warily until she reached the base of her destination. The girl climbed up the rocky steps of the owlery tower until the smell of bird was almost overwhelming. She took a place by the open windows where owls swooped in and out, gazing up at the stars. "They're quite magnificent tonight." Ginny gasped and jumped at the voice, wheeling around with her wand at the ready.  

She relaxed as she recognized Luna. Her features glowed in the moonlight, reflecting off her pale skin. Bright blue eyes met hazel ones and had such a mesmerizing twinkle to them that the stars became jealous. Ginny's soft smile draws closer to Luna as the girl joins her friend. "They are." Ginny's gaze shifts from the sky above her to the wonder on Luna's face. She studies her eyes, letting her should melt into them. "They really, really are," she murmured. Again, her hand began to search for the familiar warmth and comfort she knew she could find in Luna's grasp. Luna didn't protest, and simply squeezed lightly as they looked up at the stars together. It wasn't long before Luna rested her head on Ginny's shoulder. The redhead felt her heart jump into her throat and her breath hitch for a moment, shocked by the other girl's touch. She didn't complain, though. She just took an arm and wrapped it around Luna, pulling her closer than before.The girls sat and watched the star overhead with wonder, the silence comforting in the cold night. 

Morning crept up on the duo far too quickly. It wasn't long before students left to enjoy their Saturdays on the grounds before breakfast. Ginny started awake. Must've dozed off, she thought. The seventh year glanced over, noting that Luna had also fallen asleep. She smiled softly before leaning over. "Luna, it's morning," she whispered softly in the blonde's ear. Luna woke up with a drowsy looking glazing over her eyes before she fully gained awareness of the situation.

"I suppose it is," she mumbled in her sleepy state. Ginny smile again, helping Luna to her feet as they exited the owlery and headed for the Great Hall. Ginny allowed her hand to loosely hold Luna's yet again as they entered the vast room, the smells of a delicious breakfast greeting them at the doorway before the two girls parted ways and sat down at separate tables. 

Ginny picked at her eggs halfheartedly, too focused on Luna talking with other Ravenclaws to care about her other love. She smiled every time Luna laughed, and frowned every time they laughed at her expense.

It wasn't until after breakfast that they ran into each other again. Ginny was perfectly content returning to the common room for a nice nap and some socializing with her friends. All plans flew out the window when a soft cry could be heard from around the corner. Suspicious, Ginny drew out her wand and silently stalked towards the noise. She caught herself right before gasping at the sight.

Two Slytherins in her year were surrounding Luna. Tear streaks were visible on her friend's face as the two taunted her, shoving her into the corner. "Please, Lovegood. Everyone knows that no one's going to come to your rescue. Nobody likes you, remember? Why would they?" one of the girls spat. A low, primitive growl escape Ginny's throat. The two turned around, eyes narrowed.

"Leave her alone," Ginny growled, stepping forward. 

"Why would we, Weasley? What would you do, fight us?" Ginny narrowed her eyes before wheeling back her arm and releasing the fist she had made, socking the first girl in the nose. She grabbed her by the shirt and pressed her against the wall. 

"You leave her alone, alright?" Ginny spat. The girls nodded and ran off, the wounded one cupping her hand as the blood pooled in her palm. GInny nodded her satisfaction before kneeling in front of Luna. She grabbed the smaller girl's shoulders, studying her for injury. Her eye was red and turning black and blue. Ginny clucked her tongue and eased Luna to her feet. "C'mon. Let's go take care of that."

Fire and Ice (Linny)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें